Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 37th time people have asked this, but what's the best approach for a seat pad?

Someone mentioned making their own I think.... out of sheepskin?

Is it better to buy a new seat, or are the pads just as good over the stock seat?

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
This is the 37th time people have asked this, but what's the best approach for a seat pad??

I find that it is best approached from above. :p

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
From what I've heard, the airhawk is the best out there for making the 750 seat comfortable for long rides. Much cheaper than buying a seat. Plus, if you don't like it or it doesn't like you, you can part with it and get almost all your money out of it. My best friend swears by his sheep skin rug he puts on his wing. Also cheap compared to buying a seat. In fact, really cheap if you buy the skin from a leather shop or something like that instead of buying one "made" for a bike seat...
A mustang seat made a huge difference for me on the 750. Picked up one used from a fellow member here years ago. Much more money tho, especially for new. Having your seat re-padded professionally will cost more than the airhawk, but not as much as a new seat. Several here have done that.
Buying your own foam and re-padding it yourself would probably be cheapest, and it isn't that hard to remove the old cover and put it back on.
I recovered my KZ1000 seat with pig skin leather I ordered cheap. Sewed it on my wife's sewing machine with a special heavy needle I bought and it came out really good, and made a real difference in softness. Had to keep it dressed with some leather dressing or it would dry out and fade pretty quick. Lots of options...

For a quick fix for a decent price, I'd probably try the airhawk though.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
You could try making a fake sheepskin cover from a car wash mitt from Wally World for $5. Unpick the seam and sew back to the best shape.
A beaded seat cushion remodeled from an old one for a cage is another option.
Sometimes a couple of different options lets you change during a long ride, and a change is as good as a rest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts