Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, my front carb float is jammed and spewing gas again. I had them out and thoroughly cleaned earlier this year in May, and was really hoping to go at least a year before I had to pull them again. A few weeks ago I started the adding of Sea-Foam to the gas every couple fill ups trying to prevent such a thing. :doh:

Just now I shut the fuel valve and opened the carb drain to let all the gas out, let is sit to "dry" as best it could, then closed the drain and let it fill with gas and then ran it awhile. My hope is that the Vulcan Gods will cut me some slack, and my little trick there will have simply rinsed away whatever was in it.

My next thought was a stick of dynamite directly in the vee of the engine, but that could be a bit of an over-reaction... :drool:

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well it's been a little over 2 hours since my "flush" attempt, and so far, no signs of a problem. If any of you happen to be near a piece of wood, could you knock on it for me please?

In the meantime, I'm going to see what kind of bike parts I can sacrifice to the Vulcan Gods to try and stay in their good graces. (as far as the carbs are concerned anyway)

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'd suggest going to the local biker hangout and sacrificing an 883 to the Vulcan Gods.

I'd also suggest you be sure that problem is fixed before doing so. ;)

I hit my head on the desk, so that's like a double knock of wood for you.

·
Registered
668 Posts
750Doug,

Glad it's working for you now. It's weird cause the same thing happened to me like a week ago. fortunately i didn't have to pull the carbs...i had a lot of good advices from the fellow vulcaneers along with some quick responses....BTW thanks guys...ya'll rocks!!!!!!

Be safe out there

·
Registered
668 Posts
Well, I used SeaFoam and Gumout spray.
I unplugged the fuel lines and opened both drain screws. then sprayed the Gumout into the fuel lines. I think the air pressure helps the small residu to escape through the drain screws. Then I closed the drain screws and filled the carbs with the Gumout, built some pressure and opened the screws while spraying. By positioning a white napkin under the screws I 've collected a Sh*^#T load of crap coming out of them...it's SCARY!!!!!
I have repeated this process until I ran out of Gumout.
So far Kawa is running just fine, I've also noticed a great difference when i start the bike, it cranks very easily now, almost better than when she was brand new ;)
The gas mileage has tremendously increased, i am truly getting close to 53mpg.
I so happy that i didn't have to pull the carb...It 's such a pain to pull it since there is almost no room to move it around. Does anyone has a trick to remove the carb easily??

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
Good things to remember here. When I saw son of a pup. I was thinking Poor Urban Poser?

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL scooter! I'm going to go out and try letitflight did to his, so I'll save the plan B dynamite repair for later.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Letitflight sounds like something everybody should do about ever year, do a good flush of the carbs. I have a 2004 no troubles with the carbs yet, but only 6,000 miles on the bike. May just try Sea foam and flush the carbs next weak. If anything it would not hurt in doing it, to prevent any problems in the future. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
for sure man it doesn't hurt to do a good flush.
Doug let me know what is the outcome....

Good luck
Finished it and wrapped it up about a half hour ago, so we'll see. I used just about a whole can of Gumout on the one leaking carb, so hoepfully that will have flushed out whatever was in there.

If this doesn't work I'll probably try again just for grins before I resort to pulling those carbs. I saw some cans "Berryman's" carb cleaner and I thought I read on another forum that Berryman's was pretty good stuff too.

We'll see I guess...

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That seems to have taken care of it, and beats the hell out of pulling carbs again. Just need to change the contaminated oil and all is well it seems.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Good to hear that you got it fixed. :)

Berryman's is some good stuff. I've bought the gallon can (with basket) in the past and soaked carbs and a few other parts in it overnight and it cleaned them up very nicely.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I could use some input if anybody is willing....

Won't idle worth a **** now when it warms up, have to keep hitting the throttle to keep it alive. Runs good, idles bad until it dies.

I adjusted the idle control up, didn't help. Didn't do anything else to it other than the flushing and cleaning I posted above.

Ran and idled fine the day before I found it dumping fuel.

I'm wondering if it's just dumping fuel into the engine now....I'll pull the plugs and have a look...

:confused:

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
check you vacuum line...how does it sound when you use the throttle to maintain a constant 1000 rpm's? Do you smell fuel? I it is dumping in enough fuel to stall the engine, you would be able to smell it, and it would backfire when you started it again.

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
Sounds like a low speed jet is still contaminated. If it were me I'd double the recommended dose of Seafoam or injector cleaner of choice and ride it a couple hours if weather still permits. It worked on my old 750LTD twin.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts