Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at the 3 barrel connectors for the stator, below and in front of the battery box. Seems at the factory they stripped 1 1/4" of wire insulation and only used 3/8" for the connector. 2 of the leads under the sleeves had 1 inch of bare wire, and were corroded. If the connector had become disconnected while running the hot stator leads would have contacted the tranny housing. I replaced the connectors and ran the wires directly to the R/R by the rear footpeg. All connectors are behind the side cover, and are 12" shorter than stock.

·
Super Moderator
11,863 Posts
Good for you.

The first thing I tell people who buy a used bike is to go over EVERY electrical connection....clean, check and use a some dielectric grease on.
It's amazing how many electrical problems reported here are caused by bad connections, loose wires or loose ground wires.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I looked at the 3 barrel connectors for the stator, below and in front of the battery box. Seems at the factory they stripped 1 1/4" of wire insulation and only used 3/8" for the connector. 2 of the leads under the sleeves had 1 inch of bare wire, and were corroded. If the connector had become disconnected while running the hot stator leads would have contacted the tranny housing. I replaced the connectors and ran the wires directly to the R/R by the rear footpeg. All connectors are behind the side cover, and are 12" shorter than stock.
That'll work ! WTG !
When I install my TP Stator and Mosfet R/R w/new harness, I expect to alleviate future problems as such.

:smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I just cut out the entire section, replaced with heavier wire, soldered the connections, and rerouted further from heat sources.....
When I got my bike initially, I was sometimes getting smoke fron the 3 yellow sisters.....split em, beef em up, weld em (solder) together and go....

Them 3 sisters can be a bitch.....they can cross short w/o ya even seein it....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup. I use 14 ga instead of their 16, and did insulated them individually . Also wire tied them against the frame away from the goat.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...mine were meltin from the left header pipe...I strapped em WAY outta the way....thems important, lol....the 4 from the pickup coils too...lousy routing....I rerouted them too....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx Wolfie, I'll look at the routing of the pick up circuit too. This week I'm pulling my driveshaft and final to relube and rear shoes. I'll check it then

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
opps

Been looking at the wiring diagrams and found that one of the stator outputs branches to the Y terminal at the junction box. I ran mine straight to the R/R. What does the Y term. @ the J-box power? Seems strange it is a ac not a dc input at the j-box ALL the other inputs are dc.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
The headlight stays off until it's relay sees power from the stator showing that the engine is running. Thus the Y connector from a stator lead. For some reason it seems to like to run off the lead that fits in the middle of the 3 leads fitting into the plug. A friend learned his headlight didn't work unless that lead went to the middle stator wire. Doesn't make sense to me but worked for him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts