Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I barely have 100 miles on my new Metzlers and went out this morning to go ahead and add the Ride-On to them and found that someone has slit the rear tire on the right sidewall. Looks like an exacto knife slit about 10 inches straight across the sidewall, and it's spreading open with the air pressure. I don't know when it happened, as it's been parked here most of the last two weeks because of all the rainy days we've had. Of course I've been taking it easy too, lucky since they are new tires. Oh well, now to get another new tire. I don't have any enemies that I know of so I'm thinking it must just be vandalism.

Lesson learned though. I'll be checking my tires before every ride from now on.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Sorry to hear about that fergy!

Now if only you could find the person that did that and take an exacto knife to their... umm.... nevermind :itchy-scr

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Wow Fergy, That bites !! If it wasn't for you going to add the Ride-
On, do you think you would've looked at the tires?
Good thing you did !!

At first I was going to say maybe something sharp rubbed against it while riding, but if it's straight across, probably not.

Might not hurt to have a good look at it once you get it changed, just to be sure it's not a manufacturers defect. Don't know how you could tell though?!

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
wow that is bad... sometimes i wonder if people realize that doing that to a bike can end up killing someone. No different then cutting the brake lines on a car. Did you report it to the police? who knows maybe its a group going around doing it. I know in dallas they will ride around throwing rocks through windows in cars on the side of the road. Glad you cought it before riding off.

·
Registered
306 Posts
That sucks dude, I live in some what crappy part of town my appt manager told me they have had kids knocking bikes over. So i rented a garage 70 bucks a month of insurance.

As for the rear tire i have a spair with only 300 miles on it if u want it. just pay shipping.:D

·
Geek
872 Posts
I'm always thankfull for my garage.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
That does svck Fergy. That person needs a blanket party.

Glad you caught it or it could have been much worse.

Jon

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked the new tires over real good before I mounted the wheels back on the bike. So I'm sure it's been since then. Plus, it jumped out at me when I saw it, so I don't think it could have been hiding there the whole time. I didn't have it under a cover as my cop bike has been hogging my cover for the last three weeks until it was picked up the other day.

I thought about reporting it to the police. I might still since it hasn't moved.

I hope you all check your tires before every ride! I will be from now on.

Lurch, is your tire an 880? If so, I'll take you up on that. It really is a kind jesture! Let me know.

Garage sure is sounding good. Although, since I live in the country, and it's highly unlikely and unusual for anyone to walk up to our house, I'm leaning toward this happening at one of the camps I work at. We've had school groups there at Champions pretty steady the last couple weeks, and even though I hate to think someone would do that, I can't really imagine it happening any other place. I did park at walmart once the other day, but I always park right in front of the store, in the yellow striped off area next to the handicapped parking (where all the bikers park) so if someone did it there, they were in front of a crowd.

If it weren't such a straight cut line, I'd consider the possibility that it was a road hazzard but I really don't think so. On top of that, I'm awfully carefull about not running over anything while riding.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I did park at walmart once the other day, but I always park right in front of the store, in the yellow striped off area next to the handicapped parking (where all the bikers park) so if someone did it there, they were in front of a crowd.
Hmm, the Walmart here (and I think all of them) have security cameras outside.
Maybe see if they can take a look at their video for that day (if they save them, instead of recording over them) and see anything suspicious.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
I'm thinking wally's would be the most likely place for it to happen.

There's a part of the population that has a problem with ALL bikers - and someone may have decided that you were being "rude" by parking closer than they were allowed to.

A quick razor cut would take so little time that no one would notice - even if someone saw someone monkying with your bike they'd likely think nothing of it. No one but you knows that it's YOUR bike - not someone else's.

Hypers idea is a good one - I'd check your receipt for the approximate time you were in there and see if security will let ya take a look at the tapes for that day (most large corporations keep such things for at least a couple weeks anymore).

I know from personal experience that people ignore what you are doing to your car/ bike - I've put things on and taken them off in parkinglots - and no one batts an eye. (heck - security at school drove up but didn't ask questions when I was putting my bike on my dads trailer at 10pm).

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Hey, Fergy....

I'm with Curtis on this one.

I think he (and Hyper) are on to something, there.....:smiley_th

It shouldn't cost you anything (except time) to visit Wally World and review the camera tapes.

To give your situation more punch, do take your receipt with you!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Fergy,

Sorry brother its not an 880 Just a standard metz 150\90\ 15 :( But is stiil yours if u need it
:motorcycl

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys think it would matter not being an exact match? I can't find a metzler online that comes in that size that's not an 880. Strange. Does it have any markings on it aside from metzler?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Lurch, I'm going to go ahead and take you up on the offer. Can you find out what shipping is to 78611? I'll get you money in any way you prefer. Thanks a million!

Also, check rates for 2nd day air, just in case it's not outrageous! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm also looking at bike alarms, found one that has good reviews that has perimeter sensor radar. Says you can set it for about 1.5 to 2 feet perimeter where anyone that comes close to it will get warning chirps then an alarm if they don't get out of the space. Not cheap but neither are cut wires, tires, helmets etc. :doh:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Lurch, I'm going to go ahead and take you up on the offer. Can you find out what shipping is to 78611? I'll get you money in any way you prefer. Thanks a million!

Also, check rates for 2nd day air, just in case it's not outrageous! Thanks.
I Will check on that tomorow for you :)

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! No riding in the near future anyway! It's flooding around here today. Stuck at work too. Have to cross a low water crossing to get in here and went and tried to make a run for it at lunch time to hit before the creek becomes a river and it was too late. My little truck wouldn't have liked it's odds. Now they tell me it's about 4 feet high raging river with logs floating by. If we lose internet, life will really suck!:(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts