Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my battery, stator and regulator with brand new ones and im still having the same problem.

Battery not charging.

I'm losing my mind.

Lights flicker at low rpm. The bike runs perfect but when i shut it off, the battery will not even turn the bike over. I have a parts bike and switched over the coils, igniter, junction box, rectifier connector, light reserve and i am lost. I checked the harness for short as best i could and didn't find any shorts or corroded wires. (newer harness from a 2006 bike)

1994 VN750
Electrosport Stator
New battery
New R/R

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Replacing all the parts you listed and its still acting up makes me think its in the wiring, I know you said you went through the best you could, but a small bad spot can be easily missed. After you get your battery charged again run the bike for about 10-20 miles, once your back home cut the engine off, and try to start it back up. If it starts up that's at least one good sign. If it starts up, then disconnect the battery and let it sit overnight, the next time you ride, after re-connecting the battery, if it starts up fine your charging system is working fine and you need to search better for a short in the harness.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Electrosport Stator - not the greatest

Have you checked output with a voltmeter? Both DC at the batt. and AC from the stator.

Have you tested the R/R?

Could it be a bad starter?

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Replacing all the parts you listed and its still acting up makes me think its in the wiring, I know you said you went through the best you could, but a small bad spot can be easily missed. After you get your battery charged again run the bike for about 10-20 miles, once your back home cut the engine off, and try to start it back up. If it starts up that's at least one good sign. If it starts up, then disconnect the battery and let it sit overnight, the next time you ride, after re-connecting the battery, if it starts up fine your charging system is working fine and you need to search better for a short in the harness.
Electrosport Stator - not the greatest

Have you checked output with a voltmeter? Both DC at the batt. and AC from the stator.

Have you tested the R/R?

Could it be a bad starter?
X2 - all great response's here.
I Doubt it is a starter issue.

:smiley_th

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
did you check the frame to engine ground? if its loose, it will cause the bike not to charge correctly, also unless you used a TPE Stator, i wouldn't rule it out as a possibility. Lat winter I helped several forum members over a period of three months with symptoms just like yours. The had both Rick's and Electrosport Stators, and both were brand new before they contacted me. they ended up going with TPE stators and haven't had a problem since.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
As before (Ceal I think), I can tell you how to easily check for short/parasitic drain if you go that way.

Undo the positive cable from the battery, connect a VOM or test light from the + cable to the + battery post. Key off there should be no voltage or the test light should not light.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Can't rule out a dead starter yet. All we know is, it doesn't restart after being run, we don't know voltages.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks yal. I will check all of these when I get home.

It all started one day when I got caught in the rain.

After the new stator it does a lot better but it's not fixed. Voltage is good until I give it the load test.

Thanks for yals help!

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
What does that even mean? The only load test I know of is for the Battery, so if thats failing, then you have the problem solved.. get a new battery.
Idk either slim, but his first post he states he has got a new battery.:confused:

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I know JADA, that's why I am confused as well. We need more info on this load test failure... what are you load testing and how are you load testing it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's the snap on machine at my shop and you hook it to the battery with the bike/car running. It pulls a certain amount of amps.

I just took the harness off my bike and went through every wire.

Even cut off the excess connectors (I deleted a lot of unnecessary stuff when I first built the bike)

I'm gonna go out and try my old battery and see if many I got a bad one when I bought the new one.

Thanks again for you guys help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well after all this headache. Turns out the brand new battery I bought was no good.

This is almost as frustrating as it not working.

Oh well at least my knees are in the wind.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
I'm not sure you're using the load tester correctly. If I load test something with the engine running, it can fry the charging system.

Engine running, you can read charging volts, but battery load tests are done with the engine and key off. Unless this is some new type of tester that I haven't seen, it's always been a big no-no to hit the load button with anything on or running.

Also, about 250 amps is the max you should load test a bike battery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts