Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a total newby to the 750(one month, 3000 miles). When I bought my bike, I asked about checking the oil. The guy had had it one month also. He showed me the coolant reservoir and told me the window was the oil level.

You know what happened next. Two weeks (1500 miles) ago, I topped it off with 10w-40.

The good news- it only took about one or two ounces. Of course I have since looked at the manual and the oil change procedure here (thanks much).

I just went out and used a squirt-top off a squirt bottle to remove about half a cup from the reservoir. I kept the tube at the top of the liquid as I sprayed it into the bottle.

The liquid I recovered immediately showed up in two levels. The bottom level is a nice light green. The top 1/4" is murky brown. Of course , I'm going to flush it and clean it as suggested in the Archives. Hopefully, It will not cause future issues.

I'm posting this embarrassing situation because it might help another new guy.

Now, have your fun.:BLAM:

·
Banned
448 Posts
Glad you caught that. I have been there where you are, we all start somewhere.
It's a learning experience, glad it's not at the cost of an engine.
We are all here to help you, so if you have any questions, please ask.
A dumb question is one that don't get asked.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
^^Amen to that^^… Ask away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I had an instructor who said "There are no dumb questions...but, they are the easiest ones to answer."

I have already benefited tremendously from reading the Archived advice and information on this great forum.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Fortunately most of the oil stayed in the reservoir. Oil is lighter than coolant, and floats on top. But I would go ahead and drain the whole system, flush it out with distilled water, and put in new coolant anyway, not just because of that, but since you just bought the bike, you have no way of knowing what is in there. I would also do an oil and filter change, change the oil in the final drive gearcase, and the most important thing, the spline lube.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
fortunately most of the oil stayed in the reservoir. Oil is lighter than coolant, and floats on top. But i would go ahead and drain the whole system, flush it out with distilled water, and put in new coolant anyway, not just because of that, but since you just bought the bike, you have no way of knowing what is in there. I would also do an oil and filter change, change the oil in the final drive gearcase, and the most important thing, the spline lube.
x2!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts