Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this question is asked alot but my particular question hasnt or i couldnt find it. Of course i have the ticking on my 01 and i have tried the grambo trick and that didnt work, so i have ordered a new ACCT. i just got home from riding it about 20 miles and it sounds like the left side ACCT is clicking now. Is this possible for both of them to go bad or am i hearing things? Also when my ACCT arrives is there any kind of adjustment i should do to it once its installed or will it be adjusted already? To make sure im diagnosing it correctly, the sound im hearing is ticking, like valves on a car and it gets louder as the bike gets warm and at higher RPMs.

Thanks

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
It is common for the noise, alot of people have gone to Manual CCT.
There is also new springs you can get that are stronger to help the noise.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Yes both can go out at about the same time. You said you ordered a ACCT, is that the whole thing or just the springs. You only have a front or back ACCT, the left one would be the front and the right would be back. If you got the whole ACCT there would be no adjustment, it would adjust by itself once installed. If you ordered the springs, and installed them in your old ACCT as per instruction in the forum, there would still be no adjustment after installing them on the bike. The ACCT stands for automatic cam chain tentioners, just install and they adjust automatically.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok yes i ordered the whole thing. My bike only has 9600 miles on it, you think the ACCT would already crap out by then?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
i know this question is asked alot but my particular question hasnt or i couldnt find it. Of course i have the ticking on my 01 and i have tried the grambo trick and that didnt work, so i have ordered a new ACCT. i just got home from riding it about 20 miles and it sounds like the left side ACCT is clicking now. Is this possible for both of them to go bad or am i hearing things? Also when my ACCT arrives is there any kind of adjustment i should do to it once its installed or will it be adjusted already? To make sure im diagnosing it correctly, the sound im hearing is ticking, like valves on a car and it gets louder as the bike gets warm and at higher RPMs.

Thanks
It is common for the noise, alot of people have gone to Manual CCT.
There is also new springs you can get that are stronger to help the noise.
Ok yes i ordered the whole thing. My bike only has 9600 miles on it, you think the ACCT would already crap out by then?
Welcome to the forum VVLLOO. Did you order the ACCT from the Kawi stealer, or from TOC Manufacturing?

TOC has the heavy duty springs (15% stiffer) that Ccspinner mentions, for $35 per pair of springs, 4 O-ring seals and a special tool to hold the spring while the ACCT is installed. TOC recommends replacing the springs every 3 or 4 years. The pair of springs by themselves is only $20. There is a diagram in the Clymer manual to make a key of your own out of a small piece of sheet metal or a beer bottle cap and a pair of tin snips.

They also have a video on their website showing how to rebuild them. In my opinion if you need a second ACCT, order a set of springs from www.TOCmanufacturing.com and rebuild both ACCTs on your bike and keep the new complete one for a spare, or sell it to someone else.:smiley_th

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I agree with all the above, get the TOC springs. Make shure you install the ACCT correctly as there is a top and bottom. On the top you will see an embossed notch where the base meets the taperd cylinder. :smiley_th

·
Registered
410 Posts
Those have not been good to you! When you get the new one's read the instructions before you play with them, you may have to re-set them otherwise, making hard work of a simple job.
Are you sure it the adjusters? how is your oil level?
Look into the TOC springs.
These bikes are bulletproof, i have never had an adjuster problem with either one of mine, nor have i ever relocated the voltage regulator.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the forum VVLLOO. Did you order the ACCT from the Kawi stealer, or from TOC Manufacturing?

TOC has the heavy duty springs (15% stiffer) that Ccspinner mentions, for $35 per pair of springs, 4 O-ring seals and a special tool to hold the spring while the ACCT is installed. TOC recommends replacing the springs every 3 or 4 years. The pair of springs by themselves is only $20. There is a diagram in the Clymer manual to make a key of your own out of a small piece of sheet metal or a beer bottle cap and a pair of tin snips.

They also have a video on their website showing how to rebuild them. In my opinion if you need a second ACCT, order a set of springs from www.TOCmanufacturing.com and rebuild both ACCTs on your bike and keep the new complete one for a spare, or sell it to someone else.:smiley_th
Yea i bought it from the dealer, didnt know about the TOC? Is that a website?

I agree with all the above, get the TOC springs. Make shure you install the ACCT correctly as there is a top and bottom. On the top you will see an embossed notch where the base meets the taperd cylinder. :smiley_th
Thanks, i didnt know there was a top and bottom on those things.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Yea i bought it from the dealer, didnt know about the TOC? Is that a website?

Yes it is a website. Just click on it here. www.tocmanufacturing.com :smiley_th

Then click on ACCT replacement springs on the left side of their home page.
Also take a look at the short video of a rebuild. Good luck with the project.:smiley_th

·
Registered
411 Posts
Neat site and video. I don't have the problem on my '03, but I'll certainly keep this place in mind if / when I do...

--FA

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those have not been good to you! When you get the new one's read the instructions before you play with them, you may have to re-set them otherwise, making hard work of a simple job.
Are you sure it the adjusters? how is your oil level?
Look into the TOC springs.
These bikes are bulletproof, i have never had an adjuster problem with either one of mine, nor have i ever relocated the voltage regulator.
No im not sure, i just did some research and everyone elses problem that has been the ACCT sounds like the same problems i am having. When checking the oil should the oil be halfway up the window?

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I believe there is a H & L mark indicating High & Low on the side of the glass, so as I understand the oil level when setting on the center stand (level) should be some where in between.... Also the stamped and manual says 4L which is over 4 Qts. but 4Qts. fills mine over the High mark, the manual says to drain down to the H mark but I never have and so far all has went well... Others can give you much better info., but that is what I do, and it has worked for me...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe there is a H & L mark indicating High & Low on the side of the glass, so as I understand the oil level when setting on the center stand (level) should be some where in between.... Also the stamped and manual says 4L which is over 4 Qts. but 4Qts. fills mine over the High mark, the manual says to drain down to the H mark but I never have and so far all has went well... Others can give you much better info., but that is what I do, and it has worked for me...
Thanks, i went to check the oil level but found my oil window to be fogged or something, so i could not see the oil level. Im sure the oil is fine, the oil was just changed before i purchased the bike at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Dealers make mistakes too. The guy I bought my bike from bought a 2009 Vulcan 2000. Hadn't ridden it two months when it had to go back with engine damage. Dealership put too much oil in his bike on initial fill.

Wouldn't hurt to confirm your oil level is correct ASAP.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dealers make mistakes too. The guy I bought my bike from bought a 2009 Vulcan 2000. Hadn't ridden it two months when it had to go back with engine damage. Dealership put too much oil in his bike on initial fill.

Wouldn't hurt to confirm your oil level is correct ASAP.
How? My sight glass is gunked up i cant see it, should i just empty the oil then refill it? If so how much oil does these bikes take? I just bid on a manual so hopefully i will have one soon.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Like I said, the manual says 4L but that over fills it... I believe most say they use 3.5 Qts., I buy Shell Rotella T 5w-40 Syn. in 1-Gal. containers and put all 4 Qts. in, but it does over fill the glass...
I am probably doing wrong, I know I am against the manual and other VN750 owners, so take their advice, not mine...
That fogged up bit, could it be temperature related or a full glass????

·
Kawika
441 Posts
Like I said, the manual says 4L but that over fills it... I believe most say they use 3.5 Qts., I buy Shell Rotella T 5w-40 Syn. in 1-Gal. containers and put all 4 Qts. in, but it does over fill the glass...
I am probably doing wrong, I know I am against the manual and other VN750 owners, so take their advice, not mine...
That fogged up bit, could it be temperature related or a full glass????
I use 4 quarts too and it just fills to the top of the glass, but above the H and L marks.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
How? My sight glass is gunked up i cant see it, should i just empty the oil then refill it? If so how much oil does these bikes take? I just bid on a manual so hopefully i will have one soon.
While your bike is up on the center stand start it and have her run for a minute. With a flash light pointed at your sight glass shut the bike off, you will see the oil rise within the glass, this will tell you where your oil level is.

Peace :beerchug:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good deal i will drain the oil and i think i will just put 3.5 qts back in. Has anyone ever run the Lucas Oil stabilizer in their bike? I run it in my car quiet a bit and it works really good, just wondering if its good to run in the motorcycle as well.

·
Addicted to Projects
545 Posts
I've run Lucas in both my cages and other bikes. I will be using it in the Vulcan after I do a final oil change before spring riding.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts