Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I thought I would just post a quick write-up of an issue I have had off and on that got pretty bad a few weeks ago. I kept having issues with my bike shutting off in the middle of riding, it didn't matter how fast or what I was doing. I wold simply be riding along and the engine would cut out, no stutter or anything. In the beginning I was able to just hit the starter button while still moving, the bike would back-fire and start right up. Later however, I had to bring it to a complete stop, turn the whole thing off and restart her. That was when I decided I had to spend some serious time and look at the electrical circuits. This all happened while I was in desperate need of my bike, with no other ride.

I looked at all my connections, trimming the wires down to get some fresh wire at the connections (with the help of a friend of a friend who runs his own little garage). We couldn't find any issues with the electronics. The problem kept occurring sporadically and I finally decided it was time to start putting new parts in.

The first part was the most obvious and luckily turned out to be the issue! Switched out the old ignition switch for a new one and have been riding for almost 500 miles without an issue. Took the old switch apart again and still can't find what the problem was...but I guess these things happen with an older bike.

Just glad its over and I can finally relax and enjoy the ride again! Anyway just wanted to let everyone know, incase others have this issue.

- Sjaak

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for posting your results. There is nothing more frustrating than for someone to post a problem, people give advise, and they never post back the results. I have read many a post all the way through only to get no satisfaction at the end. Kinda like a big build-up with no happy ending! LOL :)

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
I believe there may be a "sticky" on rebuilding the ignition switch or at least cleaning up the contacts. I have heard of this exact problem from several members so it is something all should be aware of. When time and funds permit I would rebuild the original switch so you have a backup or even something you could sell to someone else and recoup your expenses and a little bit for your trouble. Any old parts may just be what someone else needs in a pinch. Chrome can always be painted over if too far gone and a small ding could be better than what some other person has at present.

As mentioned, thanks for posting your final results. Your diagnosis could save time and expense for others by giving them a good starting point for the same exact problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is a sticky on rebuilding the ignition switch, I had the same problem, nothing like cruising down the highway and just going dead. I also found a loose bullet connector, after cleaning switch and repairing bullet connector I have had no problems since. There are also some really good pictures somebody posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts