Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working through this bike of mine. Thought the solenoid was bad, but I decided to give it another look. Jumpers to the solenoid blades produces rapid clicking and shows continuity on the meter. What else do I need to check? Posts?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Working through this bike of mine. Thought the solenoid was bad, but I decided to give it another look. Jumpers to the solenoid blades produces rapid clicking and shows continuity on the meter. What else do I need to check? Posts?
Starter relay test from Clymer manual:
put tranny in neutral

remove nuts and washers from electrical connectors on relay and disconnect starter motor and battery positive + cable from relay

Position switches
a. Ignition switch ON
b. Engine stop switch RUN
c. Neutral switch ON (tranny in neutral)
d. Starter button ON

Set Ohmmeter to lowest setting and connect between the large relay terminals

Press start button and observe.
***(OR attach your jumper wires to the primary circuit blades)***

SINGLE CLICK AND METER READS ZERO RESISANCE, THE RELAY IS GOOD.

If the relay clicks, but meter reads a value greater then zero, relay is defective

If relay does not click it is defective.
............................................................................................................
I would say multiple clicks from your relay indicate it is defective. :(

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was afraid of. Bike is completely torn down at the moment, getting ready for a full re-wire. Getting everything together so I can move along smoothly!

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Hey Kid, its easy to test any relay or solenoid. apply power and ground to the blade terminals, and check continuity between both of the threaded terminals, if there is continuity (0 ohms) then you are good, if it reads OL then its bad... that simple.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly, I have not had a lot of chance to get out and work on it the past few days. Pulled the carb assembly and did some cleaning. Also, turned out solenoid it good...hooray. Will probably continue, though I hav few offers that I am entertaining on the bike. If I let it go, there happens to be another bike...just like it, in better shape with lower miles. Might be worth a look!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree. Have a guy picking it up from me this weekend! I am certainly coming out on top, making money on the deal. Always nice to turn a profit!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I ended up getting rid of my Vulcan. Made a little on the deal. As luck would have it, I ran across a titled Virago 750 that I'm picking up for $200. Needs some talc and the owner needs it gone. He lives in a little town and has no market to get a good price. I got it for a steal....and he's delivering! Needs a little starter work, but should be a much easier build than the Vulcan was shaping up to be. Even has good electrical!

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Hate to say it but you might have jumped outta the frying pan and into the fire. Starting systems on those Viragos are notoriously bad. I've worked on my fair share that "just need a little starter work." Its a poor design and finding parts (especially if its one of the earlier xv750s) is very costly. Electrical wasn't the issue on the virago, it was a faulty starter design right from the factory. I'm not trying to scare you, they can be nice bikes but your $200 virago will probably end up costing you closer to $1200 by the time you get everything sorted out. That's not including the labor, just the parts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am aware of the issues with the early starters. I have a parts source for this bike (later parts bike, will be doing some swapping for the "improved" design. It's nice to have a friend...lol.

Thanks for the warning though!

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Lol at least you did some research. The first two I got I didn't know any better and I had to find out the hard way. Post some pics when you get it and let us know how it goes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts