Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Wants forward controls...
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing some of these threads on folks looking forward to future bike purchases got me thinking. I'm wondering what made folks on the forum choose to buy the VN750? What sold you on it? Performance? Cosmetics? The name?

I know for me it was cost. Being able to get on a bike for the price I picked mine up for was a no brainer. I've thought several times about moving on to a bigger bike, just because I'm a bigger guy, but it seems crazy to invest so much more money into a bigger bike when I love riding this one so much.

Anyway, what made you choose your VN750?

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
For me it was price for a running bike that I knew I would be able to improve/maintain.

Also having been 6 years since I last rode I thought a 750 would make for a good starter bike, or restarter bike so to speak, but turns out I think its great.

Was only planning on keeping for one season, but now I plan on keeping it forever, probably will get a 2nd bike in a couple years or so, but I absolutely love this one.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I picked up my VN700 as a cheap starter bike (MSF class in three weeks!). My buddy had a VN700 already, so I knew that I could get some assistance from him if I ran into any issues with it. I had been watching Craigslist for bikes similar to what I was wanting, and this VN700 just worked out for me.

My buddy moved up to a Meanie this year and sold the VN700 to another friend. I'm not sure how long I'll keep my VN700, but I'll probably have it for a while unless it meets some horrible death or I decide that I absolutely need a new bike for some reason.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I was actually looking for a Shadow 1100. The Vulcan I bought was owned by the mother of a friend of I guy I know at work..... The story goes that she got the bike as a present from her uncle after she got her license. She dropped the bike in a parking lot and I guess it scared her. Anyway, the guy I know was going to get the bike from his friend (who's mom owns it) for cheap. But once he found out it wasn't a crotch rocket, he didn't want it anymore. He was telling me the story one day at work and I half joking said, "I'll take it." The rest is, as they say, history.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It does have a lot of things newer bikes don't.
Centerstand
Tach/Speedo on handlebars where you can see them
Tubeless Aluminum Wheels
Shaft Drive
Hydraulic Valve Adjusters
Basic Design

Most bikes nowadays don't have those features. You won't find a centerstand on pretty much anything. No tachs. Spoke wheels. Chain drive. etc.

Plus, newer cruisers all look exactly the same. They don't have much ground clearance, so they scrape the pegs easily, and have a lot of useless 'bling' type features that don't do anything useful. They are all made to look like the exact same styled Harley.

If I were going to invest serious money into a motorcycle, it would be something like Knifemaker has... a Yamaha FJ, or something with a more upright seating position and a LOT more power! 2nd choice just for blasting around would probably be a Yamaha V-Max. :) New style, blinged out copycat cruiser??? No Thanks!

The Vulcan is a great, feature ridden, low maintenance, cost effective bike to ride around town. I put saddlebags and a $69 piece of luggage on the rear rack, and I can haul all kinds of stuff on the thing. Taking it to the store is no problem! Heck, a full face helmet and jacket will fit in the rear luggage pack, alone! (vinyl luggage sits on an aluminum plate with U-bolts tieing it all together. It has a strap that goes around the sissy bar, and it's all very solid.

This is the luggage. I don't use the round part.
http://leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Saddlebags/Xelement-X-560-Two-Piece-Motorcycle-Tour-Pack/188193.html

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I took the bags off the bike and went with the Saddlemen BR1800: Fits on the passenger seat.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
price at the time,It was good for what it was a midweight cruiser with a lot of spunk,but if I am going to ride a cruiser,i wanted one i could haul all my stuff on with out being crowded. I miss the centerstand and the cast wheels,but i am getting ready to remedy that with a set of bubf wheels,this winter,since this is the only bike I ever owned with a centerstand that I didn't take off, I have lived without that for years,the bigger vulcans also have self adjusting valve adjusters.

I would like to have mine back as a second bike just to rip around on,but for traveling the 1500 is a much more comfy ride.Add to the package ,I just like a big old motorcycle with factory floorboards and the Old school looks,that some don't.I wouldn't trade back,but thats what makes the world what it is we all like different things.PS,I also got the 1500 dirt cheap too,Size matters,LOL Price too!!!!

I guess that let the cat out of the bag about what I was wanting to chrome this winter,if you have been paying attention;)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
When I was looking to buy a bike I narrowed it down to a 2010 Dinamo 250 (chinese cruiser type POS) and the Vulcan. I was thinking that the Dinamo is chinese crap, but at least it was new, so it should hold together for a while. The Vulcan was definitely a better bike but it was old (85). In the end I called the guy and got him down to $700 so I just got the Vulcan. I didn't really know anything about bikes, so I was lucky I got such a nice bike for my first bike :) It isn't in perfect condition but I can ride it.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I lucked into mine. I knew I wanted an older mid sized V-twin cruiser for learning on. I`ve had a mc licence since I was 14, but only bought my first mc at age 55. My next door neighbor is a lifelong motocrosser and now rides a 950 sportbike too. Jerry told me to look for a 20 year old Honda Shadow. Said I should be able to find one for $2500, ride it for a year or two,and sell it again for close to the same price if I wanted a bigger bike.

I test rode an old Honda CB750 and a Suzi Marauder 800, but did not like either one. Rode a friend`s 1100 Shadow and liked it, lots of power and feels more "substantial" at 80+ mph than my vn750 does, but it is not for sale.

Found the Vulcan on Kijiji at 8:30 am, the first time I ever looked at the site. It was 3 miles away and the guy rode it home for lunch so I could test ride it. By 2:30 pm it was registered and insured in my name. It has lots of power even to haul my #300 pounds around, but I do need to put highway pegs on so I can stretch out my 5' 11" frame a bit.

Some others say it looks dated, but I like the look. I like the seatback for taking my grandkids riding, or for tying a backpack on to carry stuff to work.

I really did not do any research before buying, had never heard of or seen a vn750 prior to buying mine. As I say, I just basicly lucked into buying the best used mid sized cruiser out there. It will probably be the only mc I ever own.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I was just browesing ebay when I came across the vn700 liked how it looked and for $1300 figured why the hell not. So i bought it. I rode it for most of the summer and one day asked the wife to get on. We both decided it wasn't very comfy nuts on the gas tank and elbow behind my back haha. Rode it another year after that and then started ebaying again. Came across a new 2009 Nomad in 2010 for 11,180 out the door.

Size matters,LOL Price too!!!!

·
Registered
900 Posts
for me I found a parts bike for $175 and could not pass it up.. once I got started and them got on here.. it was over!.. VN750 rocks and beats em all...don't get me wrong.. I have a shadow as well.. but when she is running right she is the best.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My brother is a mechanic and got an '85 VN700 in trade for some he'd done for a buddy. My brother planned to fix it up, but as luck would have it another buddy came across a Honda Goldwing that my brother preferred, so he got the Goldwing and left the VN700 sitting in the back of his shop for a couple of years. I saw it on a trip to Texas to visit him and about a year later we finally got it up here to me in Tennessee. It was free...just transferred title and tags. Of course it is indeed a project bike and in the process of a complete restoration atm..but I can afford to sink some cash into it, since it was free to start with...:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Being a new rider, i didn't want anything over 900cc and for the price (3000 for a 04 with low miles) was by far the best deal I could find in my area. After finding this forum, I believe I made a very good decision. So far the only problem has been hard starts. (or no start when it is cold) Now a believer in upgrading the battery. Soon to upgrade the plugs too as it still doesn't like hot starts.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I wanted something big enough to cruise the freeway with my wife on board, but not too big as to be difficult to learn on (it is my first bike after all). Plus the price was not bad from a dealership at just over 2k out the door.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I was looking for a bike and a buddy of mine saw it on Craigslist and said it was a nice bike. I looked it up on the web and liked the old school style and it was priced in my ball park ($1,200) and since it wouldn't start without jumping it the guy dropped the price to $800. After I bought it I found this website and learned what a great bike it is. Posted a thread over the winter asking about everyones next bike. Well, the more I ride I am just not ready to stop riding this one. I like the fact it gets 45-50 MPG! It has plenty of power for me and I can occassionally take the Mrs on a ride. Wouldn't want to go cross country with her on it but for my riding she's all I need! I just can't rationalize dropping the kind of money their asking for some of the other bikes when this one is really awesome and I'd be losing some of the bennies if I moved to another bike

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
bought mine from my sister for a thousand. she purchased it from a guy who had it sittin in his basement for two years, she gave 300 bucks for it, yes 300.00! she took it and had the carbs cleaned and new rubber put on it and only drove it a few hundred miles before she found her bmw 1200. her old man is a beemer nut! anyways I hauled a few loads of scrap and sold an old beat up polaris 250 quad I had and became a proud owner and member of the vulcan family. I will probably buy a bigger bike for two up riding as the misses is not exactly petite but that would be something more goldwing like and keep the vulcan for everyday commuting and fun solo in the hills where I live!

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
I wasn't specifically looking for a bike, but one day, while working as a substitute mail carrier, I saw the bike sitting out at one of my customer's house. They were having a rummage sale. Later, when I got off work, I went back to look at it. It was an '01 with only 3,400 miles on it. The handle bars were bent, because it had been knocked over in their barn. I figured the bike was pretty much like brand new. Phoned the wife, and we talked about it. Later that day I went back to pick it up. Got a big screen projection TV thrown in with the deal. I think I got the whole thing for $2100. Didn't know anything about the VN750's at the time. I found this forum right away after that. The bike suited me for 2 years when I finally decided I needed to get a bigger bike that the wife and I could ride on more comfortably (and a monetary gift from my sister).

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
For better or worse, I'm the kind that buys the best he can afford, and then keeps it ... forever.

I bought my '91 new off the showroom floor. It was the most stylish, best seat of the pants (I'm 5'-10") new bike I could afford. I still love my VN750, and will probably never let it go ... until it is toast.

:beerchug:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I took the class last June with my son, and the dad of a friend of his has a VN750. He let me ride it a couple of times after I got the M on my license. A few months later, one went on sale on craigslist just around the corner. I looked at it, then bought it. So far, those are the only two bikes I've ridden (outside of class).
I can't imagine anything else... love my '92!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts