Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Where do you park it at a public place?

• Right up on the side-walk near the door! Always!

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • In any open spot in the lot just like the cars.

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Where ever the dam thing fits!

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Other....(please explain. Or not.)

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you take the bike to any of the big "Mart" stores, or even a small store or restaurant? Do you pull right up beside the building, take up a parking spot out in the lot with the cars, or maybe on the diagonal painted spots that are too small for cars? Just wondering....

Last time my wife went grocery shopping and I was out riding, I decided to meet up with her and help her out. So when I found her car in the lot I parked sideways right up against the back of it, one so she would know I was around if I didn't catch her, and two so we could walk out together if I did catch her.

You should have saw the "stink eye" I was getting from people for apparently abusing my agile parking abilities because I was on a bike. LOL. It was worth it just to see folks get pissed off. :smiley_th

Anyway, just a little bike talk, so where do you park it?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I park away from the store at a light pole that has the security camera. This would be like at Wal-mart.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'll park by another bike- if they were gracious enough to leave room, OR I will park as close to the building as possible. I like the striped yellow spaces... I almost got a ticket once, but explained to the ticketing officer my reasoning and she said I was ok parking there.. gotta like that...

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
At the grocers I'll park on the sidewalk. Any place else I look for a space that has concrete so the kick stand doesn't sink.

·
Registered
96 Posts
here on campus i park in the many designated motorcycle spaces that just happens to be up front by all the handicapped spaces (gotta love that). out in town ill grab a regular parking spot. i'm too poor to risk a ticket

·
Registered
707 Posts
anywhere that it wont sink!!!!

·
Registered
802 Posts
I get looks from people in the parking garage I use in downtown Dallas. Gotta pay to park, especially since I can't always ride, so I just pay monthly parking. But I take up a regular parking space. If they were willing to cut my bill, I'd be willing to park in a corner a car can't fit in.

I do know I've scared the crap out of few people when I start it up in the evenings. It's underground parking, so it there's no where for the sound to go. :)

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Usaully as close as possible, at night under a light near a security camera. :rockon:

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I almost got a ticket once, but explained to the ticketing officer my reasoning and she said I was ok parking there.. gotta like that...
I never would've thought to park under a light and use the security cameras. I love this forum. I never knew it was cool to park on sidewalks or in striped areas. What did you tell the cop to make her back off? You didn't start stripping did you?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I usually park at the yellow or white diagonal painted spots, that are usually at the very front of the parking isles tha are too small for even the eco friendly cars. Not many places around here that have motorcycle parking only spots.

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
I usually park a little ways from where most cars are next to a pole or a shopping cart corral or, if there is another bike in a yellow striped zone, I will park next to it. Don't know why/when I choose one over the other. I guess I like to park near a solid obstacle because of parking lot bone heads - the folks that drive wherever they want if it is free of parked vehicles irregardless of the marked traffic lanes - usually talking on a cell phone as well. As for soft spots, I pack a kick stand puck and have used it once or twice.

·
Registered
881 Posts
somtimes diagonal painted spots or rectangles to small for cars, grass, dirt. i'll sneak it in a good spot depending where im at.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anybody ever notice that when you park in a parking space, towards the rear of the lot, where no other cars are at all, that when you come out, there will be at least one car parked out there alone right next to your bike?

Happens to me all the time, and the same thing with my T-Bird. I like to park away from the group, in the middle of nowhere, but inside a space, and when I come out, some other butt-head is always right there next to me. :doh:

It's like maybe you know something they don't and they just want to be sure not to miss anything, and it proves that people would just follow a person off the edge of bridge if they saw one person jump first. :drool:

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
Anybody ever notice that when you park in a parking space, towards the rear of the lot, where no other cars are at all, that when you come out, there will be at least one car parked out there alone right next to your bike?

They do it cause you got a bitch'n ride. They hope folks will see them walking by and look back... and think they own the bitch'n ride...

You remember that line from "I , Robot" ? ...something like .... "If you put robots in a room with other robots they will huddle together"

Machines seek companionship while you shop.

KM

·
Registered
96 Posts

Happens to me all the time, and the same thing with my T-Bird. I like to park away from the group, in the middle of nowhere, but inside a space, and when I come out, some other butt-head is always right there next to me. :doh:

It's like maybe you know something they don't and they just want to be sure not to miss anything, and it proves that people would just follow a person off the edge of bridge if they saw one person jump first. :drool:
lol if i see a nice car doing that (anything that looks nice be that a new accord or a ferrari) i'll leave em alone but if i see a beat up ricer or an old explorer parked way far away, ill be a jackass and park next to em...i'm not sure why, though with all the metal armor (i do offroading) on my truck, they likely couldn't damage me by a car door or nudging me with their cars, lol. i enjoy doing that if its a crappy car (definition above) parked in the corner of FOUR spaces.

on another note...i know there are yellow/white striped areas in different places around parking lots. i don't see anything wrong with the areas at the ends of parking rows but what about those striped areas up front by the door that mark off a sidewalk ramp or a fire hydrant? do yall park in those? what do police say about parking in ANY striped zone?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I usually park a little ways from where most cars are next to a pole or a shopping cart corral or, if there is another bike in a yellow striped zone, I will park next to it. Don't know why/when I choose one over the other. I guess I like to park near a solid obstacle because of parking lot bone heads - the folks that drive wherever they want if it is free of parked vehicles irregardless of the marked traffic lanes - usually talking on a cell phone as well. As for soft spots, I pack a kick stand puck and have used it once or twice.
On the few occasions when I have parked my bike in a big lot, I did similar to jabarry, and parked next to a pole or the cart corral. I would also choose to park farther away where it was less crowded, rather than right in front. At work I take the last space in the corner of the building, because the guys in cages leave it open, so they won`t get trapped by another car parking too close behind them against the other wall. Not a problem for me on a bike. I have parked on the yellow stripes for short visits at the seniors apartments where my mother lived. I park in the back yard at night, but on the street between my car and pickup during the day if I`m running in and out on it.

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
I try and park it at the far end of the lot near a light pole or if the lot has landscaped islands at the end of each island I find a spot at the far end of the parking row.

R

1 - 19 of 19 Posts