Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(no need to respond unless answering the question - not looking for feedback from my mom or lectures on the evils of going gear-less)

When I started riding way, way back in January of '09 :), there I was, MSF trained and putting around with a loud, armored jacket, armored over-pants, riding boots, leather gloves and of course a my full face helmet. As time has gone by and my comfort level has improved, along with my skills and willingness to accept more risk, I've changed my level of commitment to wearing ATGATT. The jacket got lighter and over time armor free, the riding pants got hung up for good, and finally the boots are gathering dust in the closet.

I can now be found on the streets and highways with a full face helmet, mesh gloves, surgical scrubs or hawiian print shirts, my favorite jeans and sneakers. (I even wore shorts one day last weekend but don't think that will happen again) If it's cooler I'll slip into my hoody, and if real cold I add the leather jacket and chaps if needed to keep out the chill, along with timberland-like boots. I also plan to try and open face helmet - you never know.

So when did you stop wearing your gear?

·
Registered
90 Posts
As for the question... not yet either. I may go for lighter stuff in the heat but always on.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
never worn it when I started riding i used a 3/4 helmet a friend gave me, no license, amd no tags. These days I wear 8 inch waterproof logging boots, not only for the waterproof, but to save wear and tear on my tennis shoes. I have just always worn jeans i like they feel

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I started riding my old zx6 I always wore my 9 inch work boots jeans, textile jacket with armour, full face helmet and gloves. Now that I have the Vulcan and have slown down a bit the armour has been taken out the gloves are weather depending and I'm considering a half helmet (probibally in the next couple of weeks). Some times I'll opt for a hoodie in place of the jacket.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
So far, I'm wearing a modular helmet (I like it with glasses), textile jacket with armor, Jeans, Hiking boots, and gloves. On occaision I will omit the jacket on short hops, but usually have all the above gear. I've only been riding about a year and a half. My gear is comfortable, and has become a habit. I don't really think about it much, but I like to wear it most of the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Riding on the highway or on the way to work I always wear my leather jacket, engineer boots, gloves, jeans, and a full-face helmet. My jacket is 10 years old, totally broken in, and sweating in it doesn't bother me because when I was younger and trying to be part of the "metal scene" i wore it every damn day regardless. Gloves are just because my hand grips are old and feel gummy, and the boots and jeans are really just sorta comfortable every day wear. Now the full face is pure function over form. 2 factors came into play on my decision there: when I first started riding at speeds above 30 mph it would feel like my contact lenses were going to lift off my corneas. And the day I got my permit I rode home in a nasty dust storm being pelted by rain. I had wanted a brain bucket before, but I changed my mind fast after that.

HOWEVER, I tend to be kinda dumb, and if I'm just putting around my neighborhood or down to the parts store or w/e, I usually just wear a bandanna and sunglasses along with a sleeveless T, hiking boots and cargo shorts lol. I imagine not the most brilliant decision, considering how people around here drive.

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
I noticed that the rider's cllimate seemed to correspond to what he wore. NC wears less, Il. wears more.
Right now I wear my leather jacket to work at night, when it is uncomfortably warm, and am glad to have it when I go home at six a.m. I have a nylon mesh Joe Rocket thingy with foam pads in the elbows, shoulders, and spine, but it looks wrong on a cruiser. When it gets consistently warmer this summer I'll have to decide if I'll wear that or just my work clothes, gloves, and modular helmet. It only takes one 60 MPH locust in the face to sell you on a helmet.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've never really been into the get so dressed up to ride that I am uncomfortable idea... But, I also do like the idea of having at least some skin if the worst should happen... So, I ride with a half shell (didn't like the feel of a full face, so I don't use one...), thinking about getting a modular for the winter on long rides, but that is it... I always ride with long pants, either jeans, thick khakis, or ****ies... I almost always have a short sleeve shirt on, and in colder months throw on a hoodie or comfortable jacket and chaps and a pair of gloves. If taken a longer ride in the summer I might throw on a hoodie only to save on sunburn. I always wear eye protection, usually cheap shades that cover well and stay on when turning my head. I ride with 8" tactical boots, most comfortable for me and I don't like burnt ankles... LOL Oh yeah, need not forget my vest with colors, always ride with that on. (Nothing funnier than a rabbi with tzitzit- the little tassels hanging out the bottom of the shirt- flopping in the wind on a motorcycle, pulling up and removing a half shell with a yarmulke underneath, and a giant Star of David on the colors)

But, I've never go ATGATT... I prefer comfort on my rides, and if the worst happens, at least most of me will have skin... But, all the riders I've ever been around are the down and dirty bikers that tend to either be or hang out with the 1% and 2% (as a friend of mine calls the support clubs who hold down real jobs too)... So... I guess that's what rubbed off on me in terms of gear...

·
Yahoo VN750 Group Owner
261 Posts
I noticed that the rider's cllimate seemed to correspond to what he wore. NC wears less, Il. wears more. ....
It doesn't matter so much where you live. I rode to Houston last summer when it was well over 100 degrees every day, and I wore my full (mesh) gear. I DID welcome the sight of a Sonic so I could get one of those icy drinks, though. Of course I have warmer stuff for the spring and fall (and occasionally winter) when it is colder, but you won't find me out on the road without full gear no matter what the temperature. I've been riding for 10 years. The first couple years I rode sometimes with jeans and t-shirt, but since I discovered mesh riding gear, those days are over. And always a full face (or modular) helmet. The other drivers (and wildlife) don't get any smarter when it gets warm, so I need to protect myself just in case. I don't mind sweating a little.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a sermon!

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
When I first bought my baby in July 05, my wife insisted I wear a full face helmet. I also wore a great pair of gloves and a sturdy boot. That's about it. After about a year and a half I ditched the helmet once, and loved it like that so much I haven't gone back yet. Usually wear regular clothes and usually sneakers now, but always the gloves. Looking for a good pair of light-weight riding shoes with reinforced toe & heel, but haven't found one yet.

I've been toying with the idea of taking some of my light-weight baggy clothes and sewing in some protection that can be removed for washing. I find ALL the available riding gear is way too restrictive, hot and heavy, even the mesh stuff.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Been riding off and on for around 25 years now, liscenced for the last 10 and wear a helmet wherever required but here in Maine no lid. The gear goes with the time of season. Wear the lined leather jacket, jeans, sweatshirt, Yankees hat, and steeltoed boots in colder weather and lately temps being 90 to 100 riding with jean shorts, sleevless T, sneakers and LOTS of sunblock on the domb. Oh and of course the shades in all seasons. So basically the only SAFTEY gear I wear is the sun block and shades to keep bugs and crap out of my eyes. haha

·
Registered
24 Posts
I will add not yet to the responses. I do wear a mesh jacket when it gets hot, but always wear my leather chaps, full face helmet and gloves no matter what.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Usually I ride with an armored mesh jacket (summer) or thick leather jacket (the rest of the year). The latter saved my skin last October when I crashed in rush hour traffic, though I still needed 15 stitches to close the gash in my elbow caused by an impact injury (the jacket itself was lightly scuffed but not damaged). My ankle was also injured (a tendon that's still sore, but no break or wound), and I'm sure it would have fared better had I been wearing over-the-ankle boots.

However...

The last couple of days I've ridden with only full-faced helmet and gloves because it has been in the 90s and very hot/humid. It felt weird, like I was half-dressed, and a little vulnerable. But I took my chances for comfort, and tried to ride even more cautiously/conservatively than usual.

Like most sins, I'm sure there's a slippery slope at play here. You get used to riding without all the gear in the hot days, then it becomes easier to do it on the warm days... Pretty soon you're on the pavement with your skin worn to the bone.

Of course, riding a motorcycle at all is a calculated risk...

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
For me, depends on how hot it is.

For Fall / Winter, I wear my full-faced modular helmet. Leather gloves (with cuff), full biker leather jacket, long bdu pants, leather boots.

In the hot times, I ditch the jacket for my leather vest, and the full gauntlets for my leather fingerless gloves. Still wear the boots, pants, and helmet.

If I have to wear full armour just to "feel safe" to ride, but am so uncomfortable that I won't enjoy the ride, then either I make a trade-off...or I don't ride.

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
I sort of went the other way. Back when I got the Vulcan in 2002, I picked up a 3/4 helmet, some goggles, and that was the extent of my gear other than gloves.

I would always wear jeans, but on hot days did wear T-shirts. Shoes, usually my New Balance sneekers.

Now, I ALWAYS wear an armored jacket, and full face helmet. And gloves.
So that is MY (minimmum) level of comfort. Most times I do try to be ATGATT.

(I do on occasion skip the armored mesh pants and wear jeans, and I am afraid to say I still usually skip the boots for the sneekers. )

As Reactor said, it is always a calculated risk, the bad part is you are calculating your safety or your very life, but I understand the concept of comprimises. With the availability of good mesh gear out there, and taking into consideration that your torso and head are the two most important parts you need to protect, I just can not see wearing anything less than the best you can find to cover those areas.

A broken back, torn organ or smashed skull can easily kill you. A shattered leg or crushed foot likely will not, so protecting extremities is really more to avoid the months of pain resulting from damage there as opposed to protecting your life.
This to me is where one needs to draw the line, as your head is THE most important item to protect, wearing anything less than a full face helmet is to me , taking too big of a risk.
But you have to make your own desicions here and not try and poll others here to see if "it's OK" , which sounds like the intent of this thread.

KM

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
I sort of went the other way. Back when I got the Vulcan in 2002, I picked up a 3/4 helmet, some goggles, and that was the extent of my gear other than gloves.

I would always wear jeans, but on hot days did wear T-shirts. Shoes, usually my New Balance sneekers.

Now, I ALWAYS wear an armored jacket, and full face helmet. And gloves.
So that is MY (minimmum) level of comfort. Most times I do try to be ATGATT.

(I do on occasion skip the armored mesh pants and wear jeans, and I am afraid to say I still usually skip the boots for the sneekers. )

As Reactor said, it is always a calculated risk, the bad part is you are calculating your safety or your very life, but I understand the concept of comprimises. With the availability of good mesh gear out there, and taking into consideration that your torso and head are the two most important parts you need to protect, I just can not see wearing anything less than the best you can find to cover those areas.

A broken back, torn organ or smashed skull can easily kill you. A shattered leg or crushed foot likely will not, so protecting extremities is really more to avoid the months of pain resulting from damage there as opposed to protecting your life.
This to me is where one needs to draw the line, as your head is THE most important item to protect, wearing anything less than a full face helmet is to me , taking too big of a risk.
But you have to make your own desicions here and not try and poll others here to see if "it's OK" , which sounds like the intent of this thread.

KM
km is right in the end it is your decision. Wear what you think you need and what you are comfortable with.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Reluctantly I have stopped wearing my mesh/armored jacket for the work commute as it is just too freakin hot here in FL on the way home. Could wear it in the morning, but no way to take it home without wearing it.

Always full helmet, riding gloves, long pants.

Jon

·
Registered
119 Posts
I also went backward from the question. When I first started riding, I was wearing only a full-face helmet and forearm length gloves. I rode the bike to work, so I wore work clothes to get there.

Unfortunately, trying to grow my skin back after a 97-degree Sept. 2007 day crash (eff-ing cagers) caused me to change my philosophy. I was thankful to have the full face helmet and gloves on at the time; but now, I have also added either armored mesh jacket or armored cordura jacket (depending on temperature) and non-startrek riding boots. I still mostly wear jeans or other heavier material pants (no more dress/suit pants for me). After the crash, I have not ridden without the jacket, helmet, and gloves regardless of temperature/humidity. If it is going to be too miserable to ride with the gear, I just don't ride.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts