Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Noob.
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I did was was replace the battery, drain the old gas, and change the oil, and a blinker, so far. Well...the bike is ****ing sending up smoke signals to the next state over, and I think its because the oil ring is stuck, as the bike has sat for a year....now Ive been told that I can drop a few cap-fulls of tranny fluid in the gas, and that should free up the ring. Ive been told that by a motorcycle mechanic, and another mechanic who rides also. Anyone ever done this before? Details, details!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Haven't done it, but think it would surely be worth a try, also might add some SeaFoam to gas for a few tanks... I would think the tranny fluid might itself smoke a tiny bit, but could also free up the ring... Just an opinion, not experience speakin...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Haven't heard of putting trans-fluid in the gas tank but I am with Old Dog on using SeaFoam. To clean oil rings and lifters, add 1½ oz. Sea Foam® to each quart of oil. Sea Foam will slowly re-liquefy the old oil varnish residue that builds up on lifters and rings. This process can be done as part of a pre service cleaning by adding the Sea Foam to the oil at least 30 miles before the next oil change interval.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Sea Foam's main ingredient is "pale oil", which would be equivalent to ATF. But ATF doesn't have the naptha or isopropanol found in Sea Foam.

·
Super Moderator
11,933 Posts
All I did was was replace the battery, drain the old gas, and change the oil, and a blinker, so far. Well...the bike is ****ing sending up smoke signals to the next state over, and I think its because the oil ring is stuck, as the bike has sat for a year....now Ive been told that I can drop a few cap-fulls of tranny fluid in the gas, and that should free up the ring. Ive been told that by a motorcycle mechanic, and another mechanic who rides also. Anyone ever done this before? Details, details!
You mean the piston ring? I had this issue on an old Suzuki ...I took out the spark plug and sprayed a shiitload of penitrating oil into the chamber. Let is sit overnight then cranked the motor a few dozen times (with no gas)

Freed up the ring fine...checked the compression before starting it with fuel, smoked awhile but cleared up. (then changed the oil again as I figured it was contaminated with fuel and the penitrating oil)

The "right way" would be to tear it apart and replace the ring(s)....and clean out the groove of course.................

KM

·
Banned
448 Posts
I haven't heard of using tranny fluid to free stuck rings. I however have used it to lube valve stems in car engines that was designed to run on leaded gas that have unleaded running through them.
I would pour a quart of the tranny fluid in a tank of fuel and run it that way, never had any problems with smoking cause there is so little oil in the gas.
I am not trying to jack the thread. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts