Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After battling 6, yes six, shorts in my wiring and discovering my ignition switch was bad (4 nights tracking down wires)... I took it to the local bike shop and bought a new front tire. I got home and decided to install my fancy new led turn signals. 10 minutes later I was ready to get it inspected and licensed. Then I touched the front master cylinder, you know, the clear plastic part that has been baking in the sun for the past 22 years. And of course I found myself with a hand full of break fluid. I figured I'd take the top off and see if there was any way I can repair the damage. Thats when one of the screws stripped. Shortly after that the screwdriver found its way thru the sheetrock.

I can probably get a screw extractor tomorrow but that is a moot point if I have to replace the whole damn thing. Ebay shows several rebuild kits, but none of them include the cup. I called the local salvage yards, they don't have it. The dealer said it costs $290 but they can not even order it... I've got $900 in the bike but just don't have another 300 to poor in it yet. Any ideas? Is anyone aware of a "universal" or similar part I can get for less than that?

PLEASE help me.
/Govnah

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
After battling 6, yes six, shorts in my wiring and discovering my ignition switch was bad (4 nights tracking down wires)... I took it to the local bike shop and bought a new front tire. I got home and decided to install my fancy new led turn signals. 10 minutes later I was ready to get it inspected and licensed. Then I touched the front master cylinder, you know, the clear plastic part that has been baking in the sun for the past 22 years. And of course I found myself with a hand full of break fluid. I figured I'd take the top off and see if there was any way I can repair the damage. Thats when one of the screws stripped. Shortly after that the screwdriver found its way thru the sheetrock.

I can probably get a screw extractor tomorrow but that is a moot point if I have to replace the whole damn thing. Ebay shows several rebuild kits, but none of them include the cup. I called the local salvage yards, they don't have it. The dealer said it costs $290 but they can not even order it... I've got $900 in the bike but just don't have another 300 to poor in it yet. Any ideas? Is anyone aware of a "universal" or similar part I can get for less than that?

PLEASE help me.
/Govnah
Post on the buy and sell section- WTB a master cylinder- and let every one know whether it has a round or squared off lid and somebody on here surely has one,If not check the link on the forum to ebay .I'm sure you'll get one much cheaper :smiley_th:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
first ceal now govnah this is making me nervous. mine is so discolored i can't see through it.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
first ceal now govnah this is making me nervous. mine is so discolored i can't see through it.
Don't poke with a stick Joe,I know how you TN boys operate LOL Just sayin':doh:

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Don't poke with a stick Joe,I know how you TN boys operate LOL Just sayin':doh:
D#@&it on to plan B. should I just hit it with a wrench :)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
wow yea, this just happened to me... Joe, I wouldn't even look at the damn plastic the wrong way!! It's amazing how easily mine broke, I just slightly rubbed it cause I thought it was just dirty and it broke.

I already ordered the replacement from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360168911928&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Here's the link, see if it works. I bought it but haven't received it yet, so I can't say if it works or not. It costs a total of 15 dollars with shipping, so it's a good deal. You can either go out on a limb and order it or wait for me to get it and try it and I'll tell you for sure if it works or not. Still, at $15 it's worth the risk I think.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
I may order one on general principals

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I wiped mine with a towel and my finger went through it. :(

@Ceal omg, ty ty ty. This tells me if I can get the lid off, I can get a replacement!

·
2,527 Posts
wow yea, this just happened to me... Joe, I wouldn't even look at the damn plastic the wrong way!! It's amazing how easily mine broke, I just slightly rubbed it cause I thought it was just dirty and it broke.
QUOTE]

Mine looks pretty crappy too, I did poke at it and it held up. I'd rather find out it's about to break than have it break possible while riding. If your's works, I thinks I'll replace mine just to be safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I received mine... The glass pieces appears to be of an acceptable size. However the bolts are too small. I've spent 80 cents at Lowes to buy the right ones. Also it comes with instructions to purchase some kind of adhesive. I haven't gotten that far yet.
I still need to remove the stuck screw from the top of the master cylinder.

I used PB Blaster to penetrate any rust.
Attempted to remove the screw with the correct size screw driver. stripped it.
I used a Grabit bit to drill a hole in the head and attempt to unscrew it. broke the screw head off.
I then drilled a hole thru the center of the screw.
Attempted to use a Kobalt screw extractor with a wrench. Broke the screw extractor off in the hole.
I've sense attempted to drill out the screw extractor with little success.
I'm stopping at Lowes tonight for a tap and die set.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
the hardened steel of the screw extractor is not easy to drill use lots of lubricant on the bit and drill slowly.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Have someone support it on the bottom and use an impact driver after the penetrating fluid has had time to work. BTW, someone here posted test results for various penetrating fluids, and, IIRC, Liquid Wrench outperformed both PB Blaster and WD-40.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
The only good side I see is, its almost cold weather, not like the first days of spring, just be calm and these good folks here will help you get it streight before spring...
I know, not much help, but maybe a little calming...lol...
Have a better one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
damn I hadn't even thought about the trouble of taking off the lid... I really hope I don't strip the bolts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
damn I hadn't even thought about the trouble of taking off the lid... I really hope I don't strip the bolts
With Phillips screws especially, make sure the screw head is completely cleaned out of dirt or paint. Use a small pick and wire brush if neccesary.

Second get a good screwdriver with a HARDENED TIP, to avoid slipping and rounding out the head. Cheap or worn screwdriver tips are the cause of most problems with Phillips screws in my experience.

These screws may actually not be Phillips headed, but JIS or Japanese Industrial Standard, which have parallel drive surfaces, not tapered like the Phillips. A Phillips driver can damage a JIS screw head by camming out.

More info here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a-Phillips-is-not-a-Phillips/step10/JIS-Japanese-Industrial-Standard/

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
What OHC said, but I would like to add a tool I used to have, but CRS has got me right now, but someone else can help (OHC), I used it to break screws on the dirt bikes loose and you pressed it into the cleaned out screw head and hit it lightly with a hammer... It was probably an inch or so in diameter and about 6" long, and used different bits and when you hit it, it turned the bit as well as put down pressure on the screw to help break it loose...???
What in the devil is it called...???...lol... If I think of it shortly I'll be back and edit...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts