Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a weird sound at startup, kind of a snapping or sharp cracking from the front of the engine near as I can tell... just replaced the stator (Electrosport) and R&R (Rick's) a couple of months ago, voltage is good and it runs fine but it started making that sound a few weeks ago. Thought maybe it was a lose connection at the starter, but I've found nothing amiss.. any ideas?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Isn't there a screw that can come loose inside the case?

Or the balancers or something...

I know someone has something in his signature that says something poked through his case because of the balancers (I think).

I'm not very helpful, am I? u_u sorry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
snapping sound

thanks, I hope to god it's not anything like that...to clarify, it only snaps once or twice at startup, then goes away... sounds more like an electrical arcing than anything mechanical...

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
it is probably your starter hanging up for a split second. I am sorry to hear you threw your money out on an Electrosport stator, should have bought two from Tim Parrot at Tim Parrot Enterprises [email protected] . and the Rick's R/Rs have also been known to be cheesy here lately as well.

Balancer problems are a constant grinding, not just on start up.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Mine is doing this as well. I replaced my stator last summer and it has done that ever since. It doesn't seem to affect anything though after it starts. I'm almost at a couple thousand miles since I replaced the stator. I'm interested to see if anyone has any explanation for this. I also replaced the dampners on the balancer while I was in there.

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
If the snapping sound is an electrical arc, it would most likely be in the high tension section from the coils to the plugs. I think I would check the plug wires carefully for cracking or burns, especially where wire routing passes grounded surfaces. If it does it all the time, you might find an arc by starting it in a dark area and looking for the arc. Additionally, the connection of the plug wires to the coils should be inspected.

Secondly, since a correlation to stator replacement is indicated, I think it would be prudent to check voltage to ground on the three yellow feed wires on the R/R. I would also consider placing a clamp meter on each wire to get current readings. These wires should also be inspected for any problems with insulation.

Good hunting. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone

for all the suggestions, checking the wires in the dark is a good idea... so long as my wife doesn't catch me, she already is suspicious of my hanging out in the garage at all hours ....

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I think it would be prudent to check voltage to ground on the three yellow feed wires on the R/R
Not Voltage... OHMS... voltage to ground here means nothing since its an AC Voltage... Ohms measures the resistance to ground to make sure none of the windings is shorting out to ground. I tried to explain this to ZCraggRatt before, but I don't think its sinking in.

I don't think your problem is in the Charging system... check the ground and power wires at the starter... I too was having this problem... found that my power wire was frayed and would jump a spark when the bike started.

·
Registered
293 Posts
When Tim re-did my stator, I had him leave extra length on the wires so I could run them all the way to the R/R and eliminate the bullet connectors(my old ones were all melted together). So my wiring there is all new.

Slim you may have hit the nail on the head, at least for mine. Mine sounds like it comes from the starter area. Since I didn't take my engine all the way out, I didn't unhook any wiring that I though didn't need unhook. I may have tugged on some of the wiring to the starter and caused it to fray. I'll check that out this weekend while it's raining AGAIN.

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
Not Voltage... OHMS... voltage to ground here means nothing since its an AC Voltage... Ohms measures the resistance to ground to make sure none of the windings is shorting out to ground. I tried to explain this to ZCraggRatt before, but I don't think its sinking in.

I don't think your problem is in the Charging system... check the ground and power wires at the starter... I too was having this problem... found that my power wire was frayed and would jump a spark when the bike started.
Nice of you to call me out slim, but I don’t usually check ohms on a live circuit. Ohms is best checked on an isolated non-energized circuit. While an ohm check on the stator at rest is prudent, marginal wire insulation problems may not show up. The problem is intermittent and noticed on a started bike. If there was a particular leg of the ac input voltage to the R/R that showed less rms voltage at the R/R, it would be an indicator of a problem on that leg, and warrant closer inspection.

It very well may turn out to be the starter, you have vastly more experience with this bike. It’s good to know that in your experience, it is the likely possibility. I learn from this forum all the time, and I appreciate it.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
the ohm test is done with the bike off, and battery disconected. and the AC Test that you have been trying to do has also been proven to not be 100% accurate... I had a stator producing 80VAC at idle and increased to almost 100VAC at WOT on all three legs, but after the engine warmed up legs one and two would short to ground, but still test out at an average of 90 VAC... and Testing AC Voltage to ground on all three legs is doing nothing since we are in fact talking Alternating current... maybe if the Stator produced a Direct Voltage current this method wold work... to find a short to ground.. but not entirely sure.. I haven't worked with a DC generator very much... I have only owned two such gizmos and changed them out for a modern Alternator for ease of finding parts and converting from a 6 volt system to a 12 volt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts