Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1992 Vulcan 750
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a very long story short, an item in my garage hit the left tail light on my 1992 VN750 and snapped it. The light itself is still attached. Obviously I could use something like duct tape to make it horizontal again, but I was wondering if anyone had experienced a similar accident/incident and whether some kind of "Krazy Glue" would work on the rubber, or if it just pays to look to buy a replacement altogether? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
A better repair is to insert the cut down barrel of a ball point pen or similar sized metal tubing into the rubber stem. You will need to split whatever you use to slide the wires into it. If you use metal tubing, you'll need to smooth all the edges to prevent the wires from chaffing against it. Use clear silicone to glue the break and tube insert.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I would try some aquarium RTV...the kind they use to hold glass aquariums together and keep it water tight as well.

I admit I never tried it for this application, but I have used it where I needed a good bond and it has always performed well. You might want to test it on a small area just to be sure, but definitely inset something in the stalks to keep them from "sagging". The vibrations and bouncing during normal driving could break the bond if there is no support.

Good luck! and let us know how you make out

·
1992 Vulcan 750
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again! Before I do any kind of modifications (other than fixing the tail light), I need to get her running again. She hasn't run in over 2 years and I don't feel like I can tackle replacing the stator (assuming that's what it is); the R/R I could probably do, but I don't know which is the problem ... or if both are the problem.

·
1992 Vulcan 750
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speaking of which, does anyone know what the going rate for a mechanic's replacement of a stator is nowadays?

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
700 plus, 250 to do it yourself in about 18 hours or so depending on your mechanic abilities. there are plenty of walkthroughs, modifications and help right here on the boards!!!

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I used a pin out of a door hinge on mine, wrap it with duct tape then wrap that with black electrial tape. does not look bad at all. electrical tape alone will stretch after a while especially in the heat! thought I had some pics but dont see them on my photobucket account

1 - 10 of 10 Posts