Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I-Know-Nothing
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys. Have an '06, less than 8000 miles. Never had any serious issues with it. That is, until last week. Fill up the tank to the brim, ride it home, no issues. Next day, on my way to work, turn the ignition and hit the starter, nothing. No clicking. Nothing at all. After 30 seconds of repeated pushing the starter slight throttling, engine slowly turns over. Later that night fires up like nothing ever happened. This goes on for two days.

Yesterday, same thing happens in the morning, but then the whole electrical system shuts down and a small puff of smoke comes from beneath the seat somewhere. Now nothing comes on (no lights, gages, nothing).

Need some guidance here. The battery is solid (gel-cell, less than a year old). I'm not the most technical guy, so laymen's terms are appreciated.

Thanks.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Ok guys. Have an '06, less than 8000 miles. Never had any serious issues with it. That is, until last week. Fill up the tank to the brim, ride it home, no issues. Next day, on my way to work, turn the ignition and hit the starter, nothing. No clicking. Nothing at all. After 30 seconds of repeated pushing the starter slight throttling, engine slowly turns over. Later that night fires up like nothing ever happened. This goes on for two days.

Yesterday, same thing happens in the morning, but then the whole electrical system shuts down and a small puff of smoke comes from beneath the seat somewhere. Now nothing comes on (no lights, gages, nothing).

Need some guidance here. The battery is solid (gel-cell, less than a year old). I'm not the most technical guy, so laymen's terms are appreciated.

Thanks.
Check / clean / and tighten all battery connections, especially your battery & engine grounds. (first)

:smiley_th

·
I-Know-Nothing
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I didn't do this before posting, but you're right Tech, a loose ground is what was killing my electrical. Was literally just out there with a flashlight in one hand and a wrench in the other.

Now, of course, I have power, but the starting problem still persists. Incredibly slow to turn over. Going to try replacing the plugs tomorrow (I'm the second owner, not sure the last time they were touched) and we'll go from there.

Thanks for help already.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
If you got smoke from under the seat, then check all the wiring to the stator and the pickup coils....them 3 yellow wires from the stator have a bad habit of goin south, and WILL smoke....get a volt/ohmmeter, and check the voltage at the battery....should be a bit over 12.4...you might have run it down some...
And there are a number of main grounds on this bike....check them all....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts