Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was changing my oil from the side plug today. When I pulled the filter I noticed about 4 small chunks of rubber on the plug side of the filter. Is this something to be concerned about?

Something similar to the image below but not as many rubber pieces and no metal pieces. This is not the filter from my bike.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Looks like the crankshaft balancer bushing are coming apart

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Yea, sadly time to drop the engine to do balance dampers most likely.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
292 Posts
A single healthy middle age man can remove and lift the engine without special tools and proper form - 150lbs or so

Paint cans with a magazine on top is perfect height and I ended up not using my jack or roller for engine removal and was able to lift to bench and later install back in bike by myself.

IMO Don't remove the bevel gear case

·
Registered
292 Posts
Also, was your case split recently and had you inspected such before on last oil change. What year bike and mileage?

I ask because you'll get fragments that look somewhat similar to plastic/rubber from the case sealer if recently put together as some is squeezed inside case and breaks off.

Bring it up because you said pic is not yours. But probably what others said above is dead on!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, was your case split recently and had you inspected such before on last oil change. What year bike and mileage?

I ask because you'll get fragments that look somewhat similar to plastic/rubber from the case sealer if recently put together as some is squeezed inside case and breaks off.

Bring it up because you said pic is not yours. But probably what others said above is dead on!

I haven't changed the oil before via the side plug. But I noticed nothing in the oil when I cracked the bottom plug. I doubt nothing has changed, I haven't turned the bike on since I found the rubber.

It's a 95 w/ approx 15k on the clock (supposedly) I haven't ridden it yet, I wanted to fix it up before I did my msf.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
I haven't changed the oil before via the side plug.....
I have read and heard that draining the oil via the side plug removes more oil as it is tilted and also you can check the screen for potential problems either existing or just starting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have read and heard that draining the oil via the side plug removes more oil as it is tilted and also you can check the screen for potential problems either existing or just starting.

Let me rephrase that, the first time I found the two pieces of rubber in the screen was the first time I had changed the oil out of the side. Prior to that I hadn't seen anything in the oil.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
The screen collects particles in the oil.that's why you see them there

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to give everyone a update. Pulled most of the stuff off the bike, last thing is the carbs. Anyone have a writeup w/ pictures regarding what is removed w/ the earshave? Also what's the process for separating the engine from the driveshaft?

·
Super Moderator
2,567 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts