Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys got a small oil leak coming from best I can tell the fins and bottom bolts of the oil reservoir. It's a 2000 vn750. And over the weekend did the stator mod and didn't notice before but likely that there was already a small leak due to the amount of dirt and oil I cleaned off of it trying to see if I had everything sealed nicely from the mod. Any one have any experience or advice with and for this? I was hoping it is an overfill issue??

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
That picture is not very clear. I see your oil drain bolt in the picture.

Try to put something on the other side of your bike to block the light, and shine a light on the leaking area.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Could be the crankcase breather hole. I had that happen. leaked down the front and I thought it was the drain plug. Just a few drops.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after riding the bike home from work and parking it I noticed oil around the fill cap and on the crankcase itself(not a ton more annoying than anything) and around a few bolts o the crankcase. Did I overfill?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
So after riding the bike home from work and parking it I noticed oil around the fill cap and on the crankcase itself(not a ton more annoying than anything) and around a few bolts o the crankcase. Did I overfill?
Check the oil level on the sight glass.
Put bike up on center stand.
Run engine for 2 minutes.

Get down and watch oil level rise on glass.
After 2 minutes it should be at the Full mark, or up to just showing a small air bubble at the top of the glass.

If it fills up much faster, then you may have overfilled.

If you still think it may be overfilled with clean oil, put the bike on the side stand on level ground.
If you are going to salvage/reuse the oil, get a clean drain pan that will hold 5 or 6 liters/quarts, and drop the oil from the left side drain.
There should not be more than 4 liters or US quarts.

There is still a bit in the filter, so after replacing the drain plug and putting the bike back on the center stand, replace 3 liters of oil , start engine and check again as outlined above. Continue adding oil a bit at a time and checking sight glass after running engine for 2 minutes, etc., etc. until you are satisfied with the oil level.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
When in doubt, go uv. I've got a dye & uv light kit I've used many times on scarlet. (Ltms)
It can be picked up at any auto parts store.
overfill or not, it can help determine where it's coming from.
seemed like on my bike, everytime I cracker her open, I sprung a new leak.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly it seems to be coming from the fill cap? And the Allen adjustment on the bottom of the side drain plug!?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts