Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedometer isn't reading correctly. On acceleration, it lags my actual speed. On decel, it shows higher than my actual speed. I have been stopped with the needle showing 10mph (but it soon falls to 0). It's acting like there is syrup in it.

Over the winter, I had my bike apart. I had the speedometer cable completely off. It turns out that the internals will go either way in the housing, and the threads are the same at both ends. I had the internals in the correct direction and the housing reversed. I swapped the housing, but it didn't correct the issue. The short collar is supposed to be at the gauge, correct? (See picture)

Anyone else experience this?

In the bike's defense, it is only 42 degrees out! Maybe it always does this in the cold?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
Cable needs lubed. Probably needs the cable housing flushed out. The cable is twisting up and then releasing when you stop.

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
You can unscrew the cable at the speedo housing and pull the whole drive cable out to see how it looks. Goes back in the same way, you just have to rotate the cable a little so it engages the square hole in the speedo gear.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is a good lube for this? When I had it apart last time, I sprayed WD-40 with Lithium in there. I have since found that formula to become gummy when it dries.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Speedo cable change.

Mine go that way, and after i unscrewed it i realized it had very little left of it due to rust on the bottom end, replacement cable was not expensive and works great now.

-TJ

02 Vulcan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts