Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the look, size and style of the SS-32 Falcon Slipsteamer windshield, unfortunately, it is not on the list to fit our VN750's. I decided to give it a shot though and see if I could make it work. Here is what I did.
First off, you have to move the turn signal lights down onto the fork tubes, which I did with a Memphis shades relocation kit purchased on e-bay.
Second, you will have to loosen the two bolts that hold the gauge package to the triple tree to give a little room to slide the mounting brackets up as high as possible on the fork tubes. Once they are in place you can tighten the gauge bolts. There is no way to get a wrench in between the upper bolt on the bracket and the headlight bracket on the 750, so I tightened that bolt up with the bracket out at a 45 degree angle and then pushed it back up against the headlight bracket and installed the remaining bolts.
Third, you will have to fabricate some type of spacer to put the windshield an additional 2" out to clear the headlight and gauges. I did that with some 2" x 1" rectangular stock aluminum. Two holes will need to be drilled all the way through to allow the mounting bolts to go thru. I also purchased 1/4" x 2 3/4" chrome hex head bolts to replace the 5/8" bolts that come with the windshield, since I've extended it by 2 more inches. I wanted them to be chromed too, so I purchased some chrome tape in a 6" wide roll made for doing the lower rocker panels of cars. I wrapped the aluminum in this tape. Then used a razor blade knife to trim the top and bottom flush and cut out the drilled holes. Next I bolted the windshield onto the mounting brackets using the 2" spacers and I am pretty pleased with the results. Here are a few photos of everything.
I will add another post to show how I made the 2" spacers.

Attachments

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Looks good.

·
2 Vulcans
64 Posts
Lookin good so far

I like it. As parts become scarcer it will up to inovators like the OP to go out on a limb first. Thanks for trying it out. Here's some brainfarts I had while looking at your pics.

It does look a little low for hand protection, but you're still in the development stage right?

Put some sort of endcaps on the handcrafted aluminum bits for a more finished piece. Consider checking if there is a way to texture and paint the aluminum bits so they mimic the look and feel of that sweet v750. Or chrome - you never can go wrong with that; wrap with some stainless, maybe. IDK!

Just leave it the way it is, if you already like it though. Just saying what came to mind.

·
2 Vulcans
64 Posts
Oops!

I missed the closeups of the aluminum bits. Chrome tape makes sense to me now! Endcaps?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Maybe they are a bit low. I thought it was just the angle of the picture. <shrug>
bb has figured it out this far. If the shield needs to be raised he will figure that out too.

The endcap idea appeals to me as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely would look better with endcaps on the aluminum rectangular stock. It would also look better if I actually had them chrome plated, but that's probably not in the budget right now, maybe later.

I'll have to put some miles on it to tell you if the hand guards are low or not. They actually sit about the same place as they do on my 500 and they work well there, so maybe it deflects up and over much like the shield does for the helmet area.

I was happy just to get this installed and see that it would actually work. I thought I could get it to work, but I was not 100% sure.:)

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
you did do a very good job, I waws just pointing out that the shield should be raised about another few inches.. as for the aluminum... polish it.. I have seen some amazing pollished aluminum...

all of these parts were nasty or even painted until the owner polished them

the valve covers before polish

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, that's really impressive. I've tried to polish aluminum and get those results but I guess I'm a wimp and just gave up too soon.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
it takes a lot of time and patients... I did my side covers... each one took close to 4 hours...my switches, they took me a really really long time... but well worth it in the end

1 - 11 of 11 Posts