Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain to me the function and possible issues caused by not sealing the carb slides correctly for a 2001 750 Vulcan. As simple as possible please I am now to small gas engines.

The reason I ask is because the guy that worked on my bike thinks he did not seal the slides on the carbs correctly and that is why i have to top-end power (issues trying to get pass 55mph and gutless after 4.5k rpm. At low rpm it works great).

Thank you.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
not sealing the slide would cause a severe vacuum leak at higher rpm's. and could be your whole problem. But then again I am not a carb guy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sealing the slide would cause a severe vacuum leak at higher rpm's. and could be your whole problem. But then again I am not a carb guy.
Thank you again slim. Oh i did remove the pipes like I told you in the last post i did and one of the gaskets has an indented lip and both were rusty and nasty (parts ordered should have them soon). Os it could be a combo of not sealed slides and exhaust. Spark plugs are next lol.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
start with the slides and exhaust.. then go from there.. although plugs would be a good idea any ways since you don't know when they were last changed

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Try also checking your right side vent line that goes to the right air filter. Because your carbs were worked on the line may have come out of the hole, and is hanging in the wind causes the bike to studder at higher speeds.

·
Registered
384 Posts
If the carb slides aren't installed properly they won't work properly.
They work off of air flow, and if they aren't seated properly they won't work, and you won't have any throttle. It will be like a car when you open the throttle there won't be anything there, and it will bog and not accelerate.
They are pretty easily fixed, but you have to take the tops off to do it.
And if you have the stock airbox, it will be a pain, You will have to remove the carbs. :(
The way I check mine is to blow in the port in the tops of the carb inlets.
You can also check them with the carbs on the bike, but you have to be careful.
If you have access to an air nozzle, GENTLY blow air in the ports at the tops of the carbs, and watch the action of the slides. If they are sluggish or won't open then you either have a leak, or the slides are sticking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts