Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son-in-law and a couple of his friends invited me to go along on a two day ride this past weekend down Skyline Drive and back, overnighting in Waynesboro, VA. In spite of my back not being in great shape, there was no way I was going to miss this.
Left early Saturday morning, O-dark-30, to meet up with the other two in Shrewsbury, PA, fill up with gas and caffeine. We four were on the way by 07:30, getting light now.
Back roads to Rte 27, bundled up some 'cause the temp was low 50's. Down 27 through Westminster, MD, over to Rte 31 and down to Rte 26. Pit stop at Libertytown Recreation complex. Over to Rte 15 through FredericK, MD and pick up 340 south to Harpers Ferry, then on to Front Royal. Another pit stop at Skyline Caverns. The leader (not me) missed the start of Skyline Drive and we were still on 340, and he didn't realize that 340 was not Skyline Drive until we stopped in Luray. Found the entrance east of Luray and were finally where we wanted to be. Oh my, what a ride! Speed limit is 35, but in some places we were exceeding this by a lot more than I am willing to admit. I couldn't keep up with my son-in-law on his Sportster, or his buddy on the Honda Magna V4-750, but the other rider on his Vulcan 800 Classic and I were pretty equal. I didn't scrape anything, but came close a few times I'm sure. We managed to always catch up with them, as there was a lot of slower moving traffic, SUV's, motor homes and such, that couldn't even do the speed limit on some of the curves, and very few places to pass. Luckily most would pull off at an overlook, and we could play the same games again. Took a fair amount of mediocre quality digital photos, some of which I will post on photos.yahoo when I get the chance. Made Waynesboro by 5:30 PM, checked into the motor lodge and went for supper at the Texas Steak House off Rte 250. Good ribs, by the way. Forty five minute wait, so we found a table in the bar and sat down right away. We already had our eats by the time our name was called. Better scenery also, and great service. Ride back was in the dark. Luckily someone else was leading, so I just followed the tail lights. My night vision is really bad, so night riding/driving is not fun for me.
Sunday morning, on the road about 9:30, later than I would have liked, but for other reasons I won't go into we were not able to start any earlier.
Back across 64 to Fish Gap to pick up the south end of Skyline Drive, and wouldn't you know it the same leader got us on the wrong road again, 250 east, and it was 15 -20 minutes before he realized that it wasn't the road we wanted. Turned around and went back and got it right, someone else leading (not me). A lot more traffic on Sunday, so we were held to the speed limit most of the time, though there were a few occasions where we could get on it a bit. Mister fast guy on the Magna was not allowed to lead. The rest of us took turns leading. We stopped at the overlooks more often, and got to ride the part we had missed on the way down. Late lunch in Front Royal, and back on the road mid-late afternoon. Traffic backed up going into Harpers Ferry on Rte 340 were it goes from four lane to two lane. Idling along for more than 30 minutes with the cooling fan running did a number on my battery. Led volt meter was dropping to one amber and flashing on occasion, and I was afraid I had charging problems (stator/RR), but after a stop to let it cool down, it appeared to come back, and after running at normal speed for a short time, starting getting one and then two greens. For a while there I had visions of trailering home and an engine pull. I credit Dianna's ride bell, and all the great information from this and the Yahoo site that pulled me through with no damage done. And yes, I have a Yuasa MF battery, clean, tight connections, my RR has been relocated behind passenger peg and has it's own short, heavy ground wire.
A few miles north of Harpers Ferry on 340, speed limit 65, Mr. Magna got on it and was running 100 MPH and more. My son-in-law tried to stay with him for a while, but the VN800 and I fell back and stayed 75 - 80. I never saw either of them again. I found out later that he missed the Rte 26 turn off and wound up in Thurmont, MD before my son-in-law could catch him. VN800 and I rode together until I turned east for home and he went on north into PA. The forty-five minutes was in the dark, so I followed cages through the back roads to home, stopping to put more gear on as the temp drops fast when the sun goes down.

Great trip. I will do it again, but at my own pace the next time. I want to trailer down to Waynesboro and ride the Blue ridge, probably some time next summer. I highly recommend this trip for anyone that likes curvy roads.

Skyline drive is 105 miles end to end. Lots of overlooks to stop at with great scenery. I don't know how many curves, but it's a lot. There are three places that have gas. It is the Shenandoah National Park, the entrance fee is $5.00 per person and good for one week.

Hope I didn't bore you.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Great trip. I will do it again, but at my own pace the next time. I want to trailer down to Waynesboro and ride the Blue ridge, probably some time next summer. I highly recommend this trip for anyone that likes curvy roads.
Krusty...

Great report! For your BRP trip, think about the end of June. I'll be doing the Mayberry Madness Meet the last weekdn in June. It will include some parkway riding as well as some great local riding and some fun and frolic off the bikes as well.

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
Krusty, Hopefully I'm going down this weekend, if not then on the 30th with Reli. Let me know when you are going to do this next year, and perhaps I can join too. I'd like to do it in the Spring. I also would trailer down.

RB

dennisinmd said:

Skyline drive is 105 miles end to end. Lots of overlooks to stop at with great scenery. I don't know how many curves, but it's a lot. There are three places that have gas. It is the Shenandoah National Park, the entrance fee is $5.00 per person and good for one week.

Hope I didn't bore you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vince,
End of June sounds good. I will try to schedule it then. Any suggestions to make reservations for lodging there?

RB,
You will love it. See above for my tentative scheduleing for next year. I hope to have a bike trailer by then. Not sure what kind I am going to get. I am hoping I can swing an enclosed one, but may have to settle for two or three rail open trailer. Since I just retired and income is a lot less than when I was working, I'm not yet sure how finances will work out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Any suggestions to make reservations for lodging there?
Well the HQ for the MMM will be the Best Western in beautiful metropolitan Mount Pilot, errr Pilot Mountain. I'm in 'negotiations' with them on a group rate now. Stay tuned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts