Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 750 and in second gear between 4K and 5K RPM it seems to slip. That is the only gear it does it in and only between 4k and 5k RPM. Local bike shop tuned it up and carb was way out, so he said that should fix it. It did not fix it so I am thinking it's something to do with clutch or transmission. Love the bike just want it to run right. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Could be one of the clutch discs is wearing out and slipping. If your bike has higher milage on it you might look into a clutch pack replacement. First check your cable adjustment and what kind of oil has been used in your bike. Oils with friction modifiers added can cause clutch slippage.
It may not be the answer, but it is a place to start. I cannot see how any tuning of the carb could cure gear slippage.

·
1100 ACE Rider
50 Posts
mine does the same thing....only second gear. very irritating. i have not gotten there yet.....still working on some other things first. But i am glad you posted....it will help me too!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I have not had this problem, but my first move would be to change the oil to one that has a proven track record with members here.

As mentioned by Bronson, it could be just as simple as the PO putting in the wrong oil with friction modifiers causing the slip.

JMHO, do the cheapest easiest things first.

·
1100 ACE Rider
50 Posts
dont know about you. i just changed it 2 weeks ago....still slips.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
It sounds odd to me if the clutch only slips on the 2nd gear. If on the second, then why not on all higher gears too? Or is it that you are more generous on the throttle on the second gear than the higher ones?

It might help to change the clutch springs, perhaps friction plates too. EBC makes springs which are 10% stiffer than the original. Sold in many places, for example here. Easy job, but you will probably need a new clutch case gasket after that operation. I made one myself from gasket paper - did not cost much.

·
1100 ACE Rider
50 Posts
transmission maybe???? I dont know about you ALDEKEE but i am not getting on my 2nd gear any harder than the rest.

I have been wondering if it is just second gear in my tranny. i bought a used transmission on ebay and was planning on trying that over the winter....but if someone else has a better idea that would be great....

ps....i think mine happens in lower rpms mostly....2-4 range maybe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't drive any different in 2 gear then any other gear. The oil was changed about four months ago with a complete tune-up (thats when I found out about the carb). Its seems most people think it is something to do with the clutch. Love the bike, hate 2ed gear. Don't want to trade the bike off but don't want the second gear mess. That could be dangerous.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts