Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im wantin to change the front end...any1 no what diameter the stem is? and are the forks 38mm?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
ok had to do a little digging on this one. went to Ron Eyers to find the bearing part number and came up with 2 different bearings...one for the top and one for the bottom. come to find out the bearings are the same...just different races. PN 9116A and 9116 prospectively. they crossed over to Bearing part number HR320/28XJ which I then used to find the technical info on the bearing and came up with a inside diameter of 28mm and an outside DIA of 52MM... IMHO I wouldn't worry about our shaft size to much...but worry about what bearings will fit into our Necks...and then find a bearing that would fit both the stem and the neck...would make things much easier that way

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
well...can you find a set of bearings and seals to fit as well...that is the main question.

I am doing some reverse lookups to see what other bikes used the same bearings and seals as our bikes...and that way find a whole front end to use

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I'm wanting to do the same. Got a GL1100 front that I'd like to attach but haven't found the time.

700/750 different sizes?

DT

·
Registered
305 Posts
The GL front end has different stem length than the VN

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
as stated earlier i am researching neck bearings to see if i can find a set of bearings and races to install that would allow us to use 1" Harley Davidson Front Ends.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Vulcan VN1500A will fit, but the tang at the lower end of the VN750 steering head for the steering lock will have to be ground off. The 1500A front end is a narrow-glide copy; dunno if the stem size is the same as the Narrow-glide, tho.

Jim

·
Registered
311 Posts
It dosn't matter if the stem is smaller. You could just make up the differance with a bushing 2.46mm thick or find a bearing with a inside dia. of 1" or 25.4mm. and fits the inside of the neck. As for length of the stem, if it's to long just cut it to length and rethread.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It may be a moot point. If what I measured this morning is right, a HD stem will be too short for a VN neck. The HD springer I have had a stem about 7-1/2" long ( the stem is missing, I measured from tree to tree). My VN 750 measured up to be about 8-1/2: tree to tree. After fitting bearings and lock nuts etc. the HD stem will be too short. The problem is I don't know if this springer is Sportser or Big Twin, IIRC there is a difference in stem lengths between the two..

Some one could verify my dimensions if they have access to a HD front end.
If you have a bare neck handy could the neck on the bike be shortened enough to fit the stem?

Also, you want to use only tapered roller bearings in a neck. Straight rollers can not be adjusted for preload.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Checked it out further. My hd front end is too short. by about 3/4">

Ill check with a bro who;s building a sporty. and check dimensions.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Since I have a 750 frame sitting here...the head on the vulcan is 7-1/2 inches...the distance from the top bearing race to the bottom of the bottom race is 7-5/16"

The stock stem is 8-13/16 from the bottom of the bearing cage to the top of the stem....but only 7-3/8 to the bottom of the threads.

If this is of any help............

KM

1 - 20 of 38 Posts