Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me their opinions on the pros and cons of luggage types (sissy bar bags vs saddle bags). I am riding to the Iron Pony in Columbus Oh on Sunday with money burning in my pocket. I am leaning toward a sissy bar bag cause the ones I've seen seem to fit more than the saddle bags I was looking at. Just need some other points of view to see what I might not be thinking about. Thanks!

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
depends if you ride with a passenger. if yes, saddle bags are the way to go. if not so much then yes, bar bag is nice. i usually ride two up with my wife and love my saddle bags. check my profile for pics.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I 'm running saddle bags and plan on getting one of those Mongo looking bar bags too of course that means I'll probably purchasing a luggage rack too, on second thought,buy the bar bag. I'll sell you have a set of viking throwover bags for cheap and you can have both then.Problem solved.If you want to look at the Viking bags click on my profile and they are on the 750 I just sold,Look in my albums and there is a picture on my avatar too

·
Registered
796 Posts
One thing about a sissy bar bag if it is mounted on the passenger seat it can be used as a backrest for the long ride.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
I like saddle bags for the lower center of gravity

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,734 Posts
the Iron Pony rules!

I would say, get the one that holds the most beer! lol

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
No matter what size you have, saddlebags are a must for anyone touring or commuting. Even little ones are a great addition. The sissy bag can really stuff some large heavy items. My 'bags' are coolers.

Here's how I pack my rear:

DT

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
If it's out of stock, maybe you can cancel if you want?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Similar idea to the leatherbackpack that I have, sans the top bag.

Just a word of caution about packing too high on a bike. You will create a lot of "sail" effect if the wind catches you from the side. The higher you stack stuff up, the more leverage the side wind will have on you and the balance of the bike.

As Vulcan Joe said, saddlebags keep the center of gravity lower.:smiley_th

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
For traveling, you have to either g light or have a higher cg. you can pack carefully though.
I want a sissy bar bag, but I use throw-overs for everyday.

Does anybody just throw them over or does everybody put the seat over the bags?

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
So at full extension ..is there a max sidewind mph i should look out for?

·
Registered
66 Posts
That would be max demonstrated cross wind componet.:p I've got both, use the saddle bags all the time for hauling cooler with sodas, milk bread etc. Got a sissy bar bag from Wally world. Only used it once so far to haul a boroscope in a hard case out to the airport. Worked great.
Ron

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
So at full extension ..is there a max sidewind mph i should look out for?
I would imagine it has more to do with passing trucks than the actual wind...unless you were crossing a high bridge, like the Golden Gate or Big Mac.
Then you might blow over despite the size and location of the bag.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts