Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so i got this bike a few years back, it had carb issues when i got it. My uncle git a deal on a new bije and didnt want to deal with these damn carba again so i got the bike. Year 1, took carbs apart and cleaned, broke the throttle linkage, welded back rogether ran great,

Year 2, carb issues AGAIN, broke carbs again, used carbs purchased ear shave mod, again great,

This year, damn carbs broke the center bowl piece out, said screw this crap. Bought me a 40mm klien china cv carb, got some 1.25 thick wall tubing. Cut tubes to fit, welded together, and made my rubber connectors out of 1 3/16 id rubber fuel line from napa. The carb was a harley reproduction so a harley intake could be used, my factory filters before the ear shave were k&n so i made a stainless steel plate to bolt it to. The stock jets in the carb worked for the low side, I had to shim the needle with 3 shims, and the main jet i drilled out to a 3/32 inch hole, running the bike down the road it has picked up horsepower, prolly 5 or so mabye more, that's the sotp dyno anyway, the bike starts much better than even with the ear shave, and runs AWESOME. Im hoping to put some more miles on it soon to really give it a good test.

Little things like throttle and choke linkages, choke was a factory harley linkage i made a bracket and welded it to frame right by the Petcock, throttle cables are stock I cut down, I bent some brake line and crimped it to the factory cables, and bought screw on ends from autozone, the ends i screwed on and then soldered just as an added precaution. The petcock i just put a tee and joined both outlets together and ran the third leg to the carb.

If any of y'all have any questions pipe up ill answer them the best i can as I highly recomend this mod to solve any carbureator demons on these vn750s

Y'all stay safe

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I take mine back apart I could get the exact measurement I just kinda went along and trial and error, I dont know if it is still on eBay or not, but when I was looking into this there was someone selling an aluminium one they made on eBay. I just cheaped out and wanted to try

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I went out on a father's day ride this weekend, we rode 220 miles round trip and i did some riding round the house first so about 300 350 miles, bike ran great no matter what gear or how hard I ran it it never sputtered, and mpgs improved, i got 45 mpg when i was running it hard round curves, usually 3rd to 4th gear running 45-50 on back roads, and down the highway crusing at 60-65 i got 55mpg. I was pretty happy with the numbers and real excited with the performance

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
I can't get over 34 mpg.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was getting around 40 before i did anything to it, after the ear shave I got 42 43, and then it got better with the single carb. Course, how many of us ride for the fuel economy lol

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
Riding style is a big part of mpg. Also riders weight. For example, when the rider weighs 50% of the empty bikes weight mpg gonna suffer. Not calling anyone other than me fat!!

Also city riding vs freeway or country makes a lot of difference

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Many times I set out with a fresh tank of gas intending to get the most miles per gallon. That lasts about ten minutes and I'm playing with the torque again.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Since this is my first real bike, the one thing I’ve learned in the past two years is motorcycling is not a cheap hobby, Fuel costs are like the only thing that doesn’t hit the pocket hard. So I say torque it up!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts