Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably an obvious do it/don't do it, but it is always best to ask the experts before doing something potentially dumb. My helmet locks and gas tank lock are/is sticking. Whenever this happened with my bicycle lock I would just add some WD-40 and it would free right up. If I add a touch of WD-40 to the gas lock (by opening the slot slightly with the key and giving a quick squirt) would this have a poor affect on how the engine runs/gasoline? I am sure some of it will get into the gas.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
A graphite lube made for locks would be a better choice. I doubt it would have any adverse effects if some made it into the fuel, but you don't need to use much for it to work.
WD-40 doesn't last longer as a lube anyhow.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I just wanted to double check.

I have tried pressing down, jiggling, turning it the other way first; when it catches it feels almost gritty on the key turn. I figured a touch of WD-40 could be helpful.

While I was Googling for info on this I found something fun. Apparently you can seat the bead of a tire by spraying WD-40 in it and lighting it on fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myi-MxNCI4o

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Thanks guys. I just wanted to double check.

I have tried pressing down, jiggling, turning it the other way first; when it catches it feels almost gritty on the key turn. I figured a touch of WD-40 could be helpful.

While I was Googling for info on this I found something fun. Apparently you can seat the bead of a tire by spraying WD-40 in it and lighting it on fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myi-MxNCI4o
Yes you can.. or even ether (a.k.a Starting Fluid), I have done it numerous times in a pinch.. how ever very unrecommended.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Yes you can.. or even ether (a.k.a Starting Fluid), I have done it numerous times in a pinch.. how ever very unrecommended.
but its so much fun. safety clean brand brake clean just catches fire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts