Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the basics on the signal shave.

1. Start by removing the signal from the bike.

2. Remove the lense, the bulb & the wiring. The wiring removal can be alittle tricky deppending on how old your bike is. I found bad corrosion in my housing. ***Pay attention to how things come apart***

3. Now that everything is removed from the signal, you want to cut the end of the signal that attaches to the bike off at the end of the **Third** rubber nub. If you cut this to short, you won't have enough material to seccure it.

4. If you have a grinding wheel this will be quicker, but still take your time.
Begin shaving down the top & bottom of the signals alittle at a time until the "shaft" fits in the hole. Be carful when you get to the end where the housing is. Don't get to close.

5. At the housing side I suggest using a fresh razor blade & carefully cut a nice 90 degree angle all the way around. This will give you the snugg fit against the bike.

6. Once you have the signal fitting well, Mark on the otherside where you can drill a "small" hole through the shaft on either side to avoid hitting/cutting/shorting your wires when installing the shaved signals. Make this hole as close to the bike as possible.

7.With the hole drilled, re-assemble the signal. Before installing, connect the wiring to ensure everythng is working. If everything is good. Proceed with the installation on the signal. I found it easier to install the screw from the bottom On the rear & top on the front. You can see the screw in the front pic. look close.

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the mount/screw yet. But I think you get it. I'll post one asap.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks cool man!! good job!

·
Louder IS better!
289 Posts
Awesome, Thanks for takin the time to share that. I'm off for the next few days so I will probably attempt to shave mine...wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I took mine apart today to try to correct the "sag", and talk about corrosion! Pssh! One of mine is so rusted out, my PO (strikes again) has the inside of it lined with cigarette foil. This one happens to sag the most, with alot of cracks in the stalk-the opposite blinker looks like brand new, so I'm guessing he actually broke down and bought something while he owned it. LOL

Now that I'm here though, I can't decide between the pen tube reinforcement, or to cut off the stalk as described in this thread.

Either way, good thread Kanuck, thanks for the details and pics.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This looks so damn good I am headed out to the shop right now and do my bike this way. Thanks for the great idea and perfectly clear instructions. People like you make this site the great resource that it is for so many people like myself. Thank you, thank you!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got the rear ones done, piece of cake and looks awsome!! Now if I can only find time to do the front ones......stinkin graveyard shifts!

·
A10 Pilot
62 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the hole that needs to be drilled, or how exactly to affix the modified signal to the bike? Is the hole/screw used to "pin" the signal so it cannot fall off? Or does it thread into something?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Think this will be another one of the projects for my bike. The way the tail light hangs and the saddle bags are installed, the light is in the way of opening the bag. That would solve that problem, and it looks good too.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone have a picture of the hole that needs to be drilled, or how exactly to affix the modified signal to the bike? Is the hole/screw used to "pin" the signal so it cannot fall off? Or does it thread into something?
Hi, If this doesn't help I'll get a different photo loaded tonight. Read back over step "6". Then look at the last pic. You can see the screw I used just to the right of the signal on the inside of the bracket. This is where it is held on. Very important that you do not drill your hole in the middle though. I did that the first time not thinking about it & created a short. Your hole should be off set a bit of center. Oh, and the size of the hole is determindd by the screw you use.:beerchug:

·
Registered
881 Posts
i was wondering on how they were fastened myself. after your explanation & looking at the picture again i can see that the screw is used as a pin behind the bracket like a "T".it looks like you pushed the blinker in all the way through the bracket hole, made a flush mark on the material sticking through the back side, offset the radius of the hole size from you mark & drilled. do the blinkers slide out at all leaving a gap? they look real good by the way, nice job. i have a few day off comming up and this is one of my projects i would like to do.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do the blinkers slide out at all leaving a gap?
Not if you do it right. Every step is easy but does need to be done with care. The tight fit is ensured by two things. 1. Trimming the black shaft to a nice 90 degree all the way around instread of the factory curve. (Shown)

2. Depending on the head size of the screw/bolt/cotter pin/what ever you use. That's what you'll determine your distance for your hole. To far out, yes sloppy. To close, won't fit. It doesn't take much to hold them in as they don't weigh much of anything.

Hopefully this helps... I'v said it before & I'll say it again. "I'm a much better doe'r than explainer!" But I'll always try to help. Kanuck69

:beerchug:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hey Kanuck that shave does look pretty good. There is one thing I wonder about it. I drive for a living, and every day I mutter at others on the road who don`t signal before a turn. Then as they turn and the angle changes I can see the signal flashing. I think the reason so many signal lights are so hard to see is because they are located too close to the headlights and brake lights. With the brighter bulbs used today in both headlights and brake lights, I some times just can not see those signals tucked in so close. I don`t know if others perceive this as a problem or if I am alone in this.

With all the emphasis we put on safety and being noticed by those driving around us, I wonder if this shave is really an improvement. JMO.

What do others think?

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well you can't please all the people all the time but you can please some of the people some of the time.

Atleast I didn't use a small tear drop tail light! I get wgat your saying about the light issue. It would be a better world if people would drive better... wouldn't it.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I wouldn't think the small amount that this mod moves them in would be a safety problem. Maybe convert to brighter LED bulbs? The rubber stalk helps with "give" however and the shaved signals may be more prone to breaking off or bending if hit. They do look nicer shaved, IMHO.

·
Registered
881 Posts
i did my fronts they look great (very chopper like look). in my opinion bringing them in closer may make them a little less visible from some angles.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Looks great, but not a good idea in AZ. The law says the signals have to be a certain distance apart. Sport bike riders are constantly getting busted for aftermarket signals that are not street legal. I put clear lenses on mine, with amber bulbs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Was thinking about replacing my signals and came across this thread. Think im gonna give this a shot today before ordering anything. Really like the look of this, nice work Kanuck!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts