Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
IBEW 915 Electrician
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rubber shock mounts on my signal lights are deteriorating so I went looking for the new rubber. It seems the signal light is a whole assembly and you have to buy the whole thing.

Is it possible to buy just the rubber? May as well upgrade to LED's while I'm at it.

·
Premium Member
4,748 Posts
There's a thread here about a member using the barrels from Bic pens to fix his deteriorating rubbers. Just noticed mine are starting to crack too.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Nope, the rubber parts are not available separately.

·
Registered
796 Posts
If you have to get new lights you might as well go with an LED.

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Ive done 3 of 4. Dennis Kirk 29 dollars. Rubber is not as good as factory. I am thinking of slipping plastic tube in mine so they dont sag down.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Good DIY fix to remember, even if it is only temporary or for an emergency.

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
Ive done 3 of 4. Dennis Kirk 29 dollars. Rubber is not as good as factory. I am thinking of slipping plastic tube in mine so they dont sag down.
I wonder if you could use copper tubing, instead. You would have to insulate carefully, but it would be stronger. Maybe the bic is strong enough.

·
IBEW 915 Electrician
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All mine show signs of decay but one is so decayed that it can't be stiffened. Wonder if it's possible to create a mold whereby you can pour some type of rubber compound.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I think I read somewhere about shortening the stalks by by eliminating the rubber altogether. Maybe someone else knows more about this.

·
IBEW 915 Electrician
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the really deteriortated signal rubber I took the handle from a BIC razor and cut it to size then taped it externally to the signal using electrical rubber compound splicing tape and finishing it off with regular electrical tape. I works well enough. On another I got a fast setting epoxy glue kit and and painted it onto the rubber. I didn't see any good result so I did the rubber spicing tape with the electrical tape. The other two I just rubber spiced it and finished it off with electrical tape. Works well enough. With the rubber tape you may just put a nail underneath to stiffen. It won't be noticed. In my case the rubber is so crazed that anything short of purchasing new is OK.

Given the life span of the shock mount I think that I may rubber spice a new one and finish it off with electrical tape as a precaution. Don't use cheap tape, use Scotch.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
My bike doesn't even have those rubber mount thingies... how can I get them?

·
Premium Member
4,748 Posts
My bike doesn't even have those rubber mount thingies... how can I get them?
They come with the stock lights. Not sold seperately, as they are molded to the lens housing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts