Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone who has replaced their stator (via tuxedo mod or removing the engine) encountered the "SIEZED" on bolts? There are 3 of them that attaches the stator to the bike. I've tried PB blaster to remove them ( letting the pb blaster sit for 2 days now, and constantly spraying them)but the bolts still won't budge( BTW I'm referring to the bolts that require the "ALLEN KEY" to remove them), Is there any other way they can be removed? I am a female so please keep that in mind:wink2:

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
It sure why you being a woman matters, ;) but I'd usually say try heating the bolts, but not sure how easy that be. Next I'd go for an impact driver, with the proper fitting Allen...if it's even just a tiny bit loose it could damage the bolt (or the Allen key)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_driver

Can you post a photo of the bolts in question?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sure why you being a woman matters, ;) but I'd usually say try heating the bolts, but not sure how easy that be. Next I'd go for an impact driver, with the proper fitting Allen...if it's even just a tiny bit loose it could damage the bolt (or the Allen key)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_driver

Can you post a photo of the bolts in question?
Yep I will in a bit, have to let my phone charge a little.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are the pics! The 1st pic shows the bolts on the original stator. Those are the one that I can't get off. The last pic show the outer side of the stator and cover that I used my dremel tool to cut out.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Don't think mine had allen screws on the stator. Is yours stock or had the mod plate done?

The bolts may have had threadlocker used on them, in which case heat will help free them up.

Also, there are metric allen wrenches, if an SAE fits loose, you've probably got a metric allen head.

edit: Ok, see the pics now. Definitely not stock. Heat, and the correct allen wrench should do it. If all else failed, I would have at it with vise-grips or small pipe wrench, since there's room to do so.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
make sure you change the oil a few times,as you might have gotten metal filings down in the motor.the Tuxedo mod is recommended to be done with the side case off the motor for this reason

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't think mine had allen screws on the stator. Is yours stock or had the mod plate done?

The bolts may have had threadlocker used on them, in which case heat will help free them up.

Also, there are metric allen wrenches, if an SAE fits loose, you've probably got a metric allen head.

edit: Ok, see the pics now. Definitely not stock. Heat, and the correct allen wrench should do it. If all else failed, I would have at it with vise-grips or small pipe wrench, since there's room to do so.
It's stock. I'm in the middle of doing the mod if and when I can get these bolts off.

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Ok, I see the pics now.

Heat, and the correct allen wrench should do it.

If all else failed, I would have at it with vise-grips or small pipe wrech, since there's room to do so, but only if the allen heads strip out.

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Didn't see my edit so I posted again.

The stator is out of the case, so it can't be stock.

Heat, the right wrench .. etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
make sure you change the oil a few times,as you might have gotten metal filings down in the motor.the Tuxedo mod is recommended to be done with the side case off the motor for this reason

Yes, I will. I've flushed the motor out really good with kerosene and I've also removed the side bolt, the washer , the spring and cleaned out the screen as well. Thanks for the heads up! :rockon:

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Also, if you try heat, I would heat it from the back instead of on the bolt heads. The threads are what need the heat.

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
It's out of the case because I REMOVED IT "CUT IT OUT OF THE CASE" with my dremel tool. The stator in the pic is stock.
Ok, I GET IT NOW. Those bolts are definitely larger than stock.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Didn't see my edit so I posted again.

The stator is out of the case, so it can't be stock.

Heat, the right wrench .. etc.
she cut the stator out with a dremel and it is still bolted to the piece of the case she cut out

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
But will heating the aluminum side(opposite side from the bolt heads) damage the aluminum?
if you are doing the Tuxedo mod you don't need that piece of aluminum

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
But will heating the aluminum side(opposite side from the bolt heads) damage the aluminum?
As long as you use propane to heat it, no problem. Acetylene would melt it before the bolt gets very hot.

For future reference, when grip really counts, curved jaw vise-grips work better than flat jaw.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if you are doing the Tuxedo mod you don't need that piece of aluminum

I'm following the older guy on youtube (he has the 13:22 min video) and he used the aluminum cut out piece in conjunction with the after market metal plate, he puts the new plate on top of the old aluminum cut out piece as shown in the first picture. He said to use both.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As long as you use propane to heat it, no problem. Acetylene would melt it before the bolt gets very hot.

For future reference, when grip really counts, curved jaw vise-grips work better than flat jaw.
Ok, I was using the flat ones. I will pick up a curved jaw one . Thanks for the heads up. I'm still learning.>:)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts