Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have experienced the following today;

After stopping the bike; placing the side stand down; putting the bike in neutral; upon restarting the bike; placing the bike in first gear and releasing the clutch, it dies acts as though it is in two gears at once.

After fiddeling around a bit with the gear shift it will eventually move out.

After placing the bike on the center stand and trying it in different modes; i.e.,
side stand down- release the clutch and the bike dies.
Side stand up- release the clutch and everything is ok.

I manuall compressed the side stand switch and noticed it is very slow to fully extend, which will kill the engine.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Also; I havent been able to locate this switch in the parts drawings.

Guess I will take it apart and see if I can lube it; would appreciate any info on any "Spring Loaded" parts that may fly when I take it apart.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
748 Posts

After stopping the bike; placing the side stand down; putting the bike in neutral; upon restarting the bike; placing the bike in first gear and releasing the clutch, it dies acts as though it is in two gears at once.

After placing the bike on the center stand and trying it in different modes; i.e.,

I manuall compressed the side stand switch and noticed it is very slow to fully extend, which will kill the engine.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Also; I havent been able to locate this switch in the parts drawings.

Guess I will take it apart and see if I can lube it; would appreciate any info on any "Spring Loaded" parts that may fly when I take it apart.

Thanks,
Jim
Look in "Ignition Switch Locks Reflectors"; the sidestand switch and rear brakelight switch are both there.

A few shots of WD-40 and shoving the plunger in and out gently by hand will usually free it up, without having to try and disassemble the switch.

Jim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for getting back.

I removed the switch; I thought it might be sealed in a weather tight enclosure; but it appears to be a sealed unit.

Gave it a shot of WD 40 and it pops out much better; checked Ron Ayers for a new one; they are proud of these switches; 35.48 plus shipping. Think I will try it like it is for a while and keep it lubed.

I have personally never had the Gas Tank off; but, I am guessing there is a wire harness under there somewhere, that this switch plugs into; the picture of the switch shows a two pin connector.

Sure miss Ron.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked out the switch from the connector with my Fluke Ohmmeter.

Could not get the same reading twice; varied from several hundred megohms to 2.0 ohms.

Ordered a new switch from Ron Ayers; who by the way was a couple of dollars cheaper than CheapCycle Parts.

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
I have heard of people splicing the wires together before they get to the side stand switch just for this very problem. (all the gunk that builds up on the bottom of the bike) Remember though that it was a different make of bike. I havent' looked to see if this has the same setup, as in closed circuit shuts off the bike or open circuit shuts off the bike.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mine gone. Guess the PO removed it for just that reason I bet?

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts

Thanks,
Jim
I keep reading your post but still fail to understand what the problem is. ...other that the switch pops back slowly...and the WD40 you spayed it with seems to have fixed this according to your other post.

The switch is supposed to kill the engine if you try to let out the clutch while in gear and the stand is down.....so...please be more specific as to what the hell you are talking about....

KM

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
The PO of my bike dropped it 'cause she hit the starter while standing next to the bike while it was in gear......... the bike jumped forward and fell over.
That's one mistake I'll never make. :doh:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The PO of my bike dropped it 'cause she hit the starter while standing next to the bike while it was in gear......... the bike jumped forward and fell over.
That's one mistake I'll never make. :doh:
Let me get this clear, as I do not understand how the scenario could occur as you describe it. :confused: She would have to be standing beside the bike holding it up, with the side stand up, the tranny in gear and the clutch lever out, and then hits the starter button??? :wow:

Because if she was just standing beside it with the side stand down, the starter should not engage if the tranny is in gear AND the clutch lever is released.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts