Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have learned recently, that my Girlfriends VN 750 (94) side stand switch does not do as advertised (at least according to what I think it should do).

My expectations: With the side stand down, bike in Neutral, should crank with the kill switch disabled. Once running, putting the bike into first gear should kill the bike.

In Reality: You can put the bike in 1st with it running, and with the side stand down, and the bike continues to run.

On a recent trip, her bike died while riding at 50 MPH... And all indications were that this was an electrical problem. So, it follows that the side stand switch must be involved in this. However, we also decided that there was no valid reason to use the kill switch to stop the bike under normal operation as this could also be related.

Anyone have any clues as to why this happened? I have done a search and saw the issue listed a couple of times by other members, but I didn't get a good feeling that the problem was resolved on their bikes.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Geek
872 Posts
On my 2005 it will run with the stand down in first gear. As soon as you start to let the clutch out the engine will shut off.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
It is amost certainly the sidestand switch. It will interrupt the ignition & starter circuit whenever the sidestand is down & the bike is in gear. Only exception is when the clutch is pulled in. When the bike suddenly stopped at 50mph I would imagine that the switch was at fault.
The kill switch will cut off the ignition & starter circuits regardless of gear position.
I had similar problems & had to replace my sidestand switch a couple years ago, lots of wet weather here in England & with the switch being down near the road I think the water finally got in & killed it. Main problem I used to get was a complete refusal for the bike to crank. I had to wobble the plunger on the switch sometimes to get it to make contact.
Hope this helps.:beerchug:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ernie said:
It is amost certainly the sidestand switch. It will interrupt the ignition & starter circuit whenever the sidestand is down & the bike is in gear. Only exception is when the clutch is pulled in. When the bike suddenly stopped at 50mph I would imagine that the switch was at fault.
The kill switch will cut off the ignition & starter circuits regardless of gear position.
I had similar problems & had to replace my sidestand switch a couple years ago, lots of wet weather here in England & with the switch being down near the road I think the water finally got in & killed it. Main problem I used to get was a complete refusal for the bike to crank. I had to wobble the plunger on the switch sometimes to get it to make contact.
Hope this helps.:beerchug:
Thanks Ernie... Does sound like my problem, all right. Any chance you know the part number for the Side Stand Switch? Can't seem to find it on the microfiche.

Rnewell: I guess I should have mentioned the following. With the bike on the center stand, I have left the stand down, put the bike in first, and released the clutch completely. The bike did not die. Back wheel was spinning like crazy. :wow:

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
No problem buddy, part number for the sidestand switch is 27010-1189. Have been trying to remember what the new switch cost me, not totally sure but I think it was around the £50 mark (around $85). Not cheap but parts for Jap bikes never are. Before you order a new switch it might pay to double check the wiring connector just to make sure that it is good.
Hope you get it sorted.:smiley_th

·
Registered
54 Posts
my sidestand switch doesnt do anything at all, Any way to just wire the bike without the sidestand switch?.....a simple diagram would be wonderfull

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Yeah, you could bypass the sidestand switch at the connector by bridging the connectors. That's what I did with mine while I was waiting for a new switch to arrive. It's not an essential piece of equipment but it has stopped me from riding off with the stand down on more than one occasion. Even though I have been riding for 22 years I still manage to make the odd mistake - especially at 5am when i'm setting off for work & i'm still half asleep!:smiley_th

1 - 7 of 7 Posts