Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I Imagined the side stand switch was supposed to do something, But after testing I found both the BLK/Y and the BLU/WHT, are active earth's coming from the harness. I know the BLK/Y is an earth, can I assume, there has been some miss connection in the junction box? Or elsewhere?
I had a look at the break down of the fuse box and it mentions a diode for safety devise. What's that mean? What's a diode?
Next question if the diode connected to the side stand switch is broken, and it stops engine from operating, can I add a relay to the power side of the coils and have the bike run?

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
So I Imagined the side stand switch was supposed to do something, But after testing I found both the BLK/Y and the BLU/WHT, are active earths coming from the harness. I know the BLK/Y is an earth, can I assume, there has been some missconnection in the junction box? Or elsewhere?
I had a look at the break down of the fuse box and it mentions a diode for safety devise. Whats that mean? Whats a diode?
I'll have to take a look at my wires to know exactly what your talking about, unless someone else chimes in first, but a diode is an electronic device that will only allow current to flow in one direction only.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
That kickstand safety switch can be disconnected if its causing problems... I don't have the wires in front of me or I'd have a definite answer for you.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip JadaBull.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ignition circuit Trace, tomorrow!

Starting with W/R at the fuse box,through the fuse to W up to the ignition, then Y from ignition through 6 pin connector, becoming Y/R through 6 pin connector, to kill switch, then to start button and coils. Me think it Mazing! My last couple of bikes, Magneto and volt pack equip t, had very few wires.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Side stand.

If the bike is in neutral, both wires will be grounded, if the bike is in gear, only one wire will be ground.
Hi Slim, yep it's in neutral, should these wires be connected or separated to do away with the side stand switch?

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
connected but if you do so and all other switches are working then the bike will only start in neutral with the clutch released

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More electric mods.

connected but if you do so and all other switches are working then the bike will only start in neutral with the clutch released
So the next thing after the side stand, is the Clutch lever isolator switch. I can see myself at some stage, snuffin it it traffic and fumbling for neutral to start it, hence the next mod.

I wonder if anyone ever bolted a Joh Hunt, on one of these bikes?

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
You mean a Joe Hunt magneto ?....would be cool, but I think he only makes em for HD and Brit bikes...used to anyway...mebbe he does Jap now too....if so, Im "sure" one of them could be made to "work".....*weg*....

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Joe Hunt.

Yeah them magneto's are the best, had a Joe Hunt on my 76 LH shift Bonneville, and a Morris on my Alt Shovel head. Morris has a slogan, Ride With Lightning, good spark with both of them. The Triumph really came to life with the Magy, outstanding, the only flaw was the way it jutted out from the timing case. If it had been mounted as the Morris with a 90 deg bevel drive, in a custom timing case, it would have been excellent.

Hey Wolfie, this should interest you,I went to a custom painters, a real artist.
When I went to leave on the Shovel, he said hows them magy's on start up?
As I sat my foot on the kicker and pushed it to find compression, the preload in the morris triggerd and fired. Instant start with little to no effort.

I think the National distributor sold 50 of them after that, maybe I should have got a commission,HA HA.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Thats sweet !!!!...buddy of mine has a Hunt on his 40's Flathead...starts right up with barely a kick....looks like a ratbike, but runs like a top...he races against other vintage bikes on the beach down in Jersey....does ok ...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
clutch released?

I had a 1100 gpz,it only started with the clutch lever in.
That should also go for the VN 750 yes?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some advance.

I found the ignition switch is very temperamental and though the ignition lights are on, the coils were not powered all the time. The starter never did work on the button, reason being the relay buried in the fuse box, is shagged.
The quick fix was to run a patch from the black wire in the ten pin connector entering the fuse box, to the yellow and red two terminals away. So BLK being position 1 and Y/R position 3 in the 10 pin connector.

The cellenoide now works from a button, instead of a screw driver.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Screwdriver is classier though...my gas cap is still opened using a mini I made for my keychain, lol.... ;)

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
I had a 1100 gpz,it only started with the clutch lever in.
That should also go for the VN 750 yes?
you might think so but i am working on one right now that has the side switch wires stripped and twisted together and it will only start when the clutch is out and in neutral

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Hey New Rider, something is wired wrong on the clutch switch you are working with... I would suspect the wrong wire is wired to ground. With wiring the side stand switch together, the clutch switch should work correctly (mine did while I had a clutch switch, can't remember if I got rid of it completely or not when I redid my wiring).

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Hey New Rider, something is wired wrong on the clutch switch you are working with... I would suspect the wrong wire is wired to ground. With wiring the side stand switch together, the clutch switch should work correctly (mine did while I had a clutch switch, can't remember if I got rid of it completely or not when I redid my wiring).
could be im just gonna jump the wire in the jb to ground like i did my bike cause my customer doesnt care about safety switches any ways

1 - 18 of 18 Posts