Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the part number of the side oil drain plug on an 86 vn750? Plug is stripped from the previous owner and I have not been able to get it off. I have used the center plug to drain, but really want to check the oil screen. If and when I do get it off, I want to replace it. I checked the parts diagram at ron ayers website, but can't seem to find. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Greg

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
If you look at the "Oil Pump Oil Filter 1 2" page, you will find the part number is 11012-1483

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I was looking for it on the crankcase diagram.

Also, any ideas how to get the damn thing off? I've tried with vise grips and it wont budge.

·
Registered
277 Posts
sounds like you have a small problem. some ways to get it off in order of less chance of making the problem bigger is:

1] some type of spray prenertrate for a day or 2 and then use an air impact wrench

2] heat the crank case block with a propane torch to expand the metal around the plug ( REMOVE THE GAS TANK AND GET IT FAR FAR AWAY FroM THE FRAME) or use a heat gun once again remove the tank. don't heat the plug

3} drill out the center of the plug until you are able to get a chisel in there and either turn it or colapse it away from the block the screen if its in there will collect the metal shavings. be careful and drill real sloooooooooooooow

good luck not really wonderful choices but it seems you don't have many at this time

ride safe john

·
Registered
198 Posts
Put a big cresent wrench on it and tap the end of the wrench a few times with a hammer. It worked for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips.

I'm going to try the liquid wrench and vise grips with warm engine.

If that fails I'll probably drill the center out and try to collapse it as suggested.

I'm telling you, that thing is really on there. I don't think its been off in twenty years.

My biggest fear is ruining the threads on the case.

Wish me luck.

Greg

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
stuck plug

Try a good fitting wrench- 6 point and hitting straight in with the hammer first. If you have ever owned or worked on an old bug you know how a smart hit with the hammer does magic on the lug nuts. I think you will find this the easiest and least intrusive method.
Rckmtn--an old wrench

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
My experience...argh!

Well just like bunky I fell victim to the drain plug issue. It was time to change the oil on my wife's bike. I had recently purchased it but hadn't yet made time to perform the first round of maintenance. Long story short, her drain plug was stuck tight, properly sized wrench and some taps later...I rounded it off.

Vice grips...oblonged it.

Pipe wrench...mauled it.

Drill and screw extractors...bored a fat hole.

Desperation and a cold chisel...succces!!!

I made two notches radially and was rewarded with a nice radial crack. Immediately after it cracked it turned smoothly like nothing had happened. Here's a few pics of the little cuss:

I'm just glad I had the foresight to stop what I was doing once I rounded it off until I got a new part from ronayers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info RepaimanSki. I have not messed with mine since my previous post. I did get the replacement from ronayers though. Mine is already rounded off and I'm sure I will have the exact same problems you did.
I see that you got the head off but where exactly did you hit it with the chisel to get the cylinder to crack? I'm sure I will have to do the same thing and don't want to make matters worse.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
If I can impart one piece of advice: USE THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE RIGHT JOB!!! Vise grips have their uses but using them in place of the proper wrench or socket is NOT one of them. You WILL round off the fitting. Please take rckmtn's advice and use the 6 point socket. If the tap method doesn't work find a friend with an air impact wrench and have him give it a shot, it would be better than vise grips and your chance of success will be greater without ordering parts or other major surgery.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
The right tool for the job means nothing when the right tool fubars the part. I didn't START with vise-grips, that's just where we wound up.

Bunky: Picture the face of a clock. I struck two marks as if they were hands of the clock (from center to edge). I didn't go quite to the edge, just from where the new part showed I wouldn't hit the crankcase. The two marks were about the 5 and 8 clock positions. I will try to get a closer, clearer photo of my drain plug for ya.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts