Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the life of me I can't remove either screw to get the side covers off on my 06 VN 750. Tried using the key but bent it. Ground down a peice of metal to fit the slot in the screw, just wont move. I guess Ill just have to bring it back to the dealer and let them remove the screws and put on some NeverSeize on the threads. Geeeeeeeeeze

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2005 VN750. I took a large washer, about 1.5 inches in diameter, filed the edge down a little bit and clamped it into a vice grip, stuck the washer into the slot, and unsrewed it. It was extremely tight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey thanks man. i like comments like that other then the ones i get on the kiddie forums "u dont own all those" because they're jealous. if its any consolation a few of those (the most expensive toys) belong to my dad and i dont drive a viper or anything. and even though the beemer, low rider, sled, and the yellow rally are his, i still get to ride them time to time:=)

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Lemme start a new thread about this...

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Rubline said:
For the life of me I can't remove either screw to get the side covers off on my 06 VN 750. Tried using the key but bent it. Ground down a peice of metal to fit the slot in the screw, just wont move. I guess Ill just have to bring it back to the dealer and let them remove the screws and put on some NeverSeize on the threads. Geeeeeeeeeze
I had the same problem on my 2006. I tried using the side of the key (with pliers); I also tried a big screwdriver with the edge filed down to fit the over-sized slots -- neither budged it a bit. The dealer had to drill the bolt out for me! I will be putting some kind of lube (thanks for the NeverSeize idea) on the bolt threads to prevent the problem in the future.

I've owned four bikes, and this is the first one that had a screwed-down side cover!

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Yeah, me too. I went to Home Depot and got some replacement screws, phillips head. One note - the sides use two different lengths.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I use a hollow ground bit for my impact screwdriver(the kind you hit with a hammer, ans no I don't use the hammer on the bike just turn it by hand) Pick up a large hollow ground bit at a home improvement store.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
The ignition key is deliberately sized for those covers, but those screws do tend to get tight. I put a lot of Liquid Wrench on mine, and then they came right off (using the ignition key). Once you get 'em off, lube 'em up. Another one of those "clever" things Kaw did for the bikes, but that hasn't turned out so well in real life.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster both work well in getting those side cover bolts off.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I've never looked, but read somewhere that with the seat off, you can see the back side of those bolts to get some PB or Liquid wrench on where it counts. Seems like regular grease would do to keep them from locking since they're not holding anything much and heat isn't a factor.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I must have got lucky with my Vulcan.
I've never had trouble with the side cover screws or the helmet lock screws.:smiley_th
But the previous owner might have had a little trouble with the side cover ones. They are a little messed up from someone wrenching on them a little to much.

·
Geek
872 Posts
Mine were tight when I first removed them. I just kept applying more torque until they popped loose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts