Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
You talking the thing holding on the molded plastic piece covering the junction box, etc? It is technically a 'screw', but no phillips screwdriver I've ever seen would fit. I use the biggest flat-head driver I've got, but have been considering making a custom, flat-tipped 'X' driver to prevent further cam-out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yup! the R & L side covers,looks like a over sz. philips,i peaked behind the cover pulling it off the top tabs and thought i saw a threaded bolt going into the frame,don't want to break the side cover but my biggest screwdriver slipped and boogered it up a LiL,musta used red loctite on that bass turd!
THANX FOR THE AFFIRMATION!
I wonder if i can get a new one?

·
Tinkerer
572 Posts
Yes you can get new screws, I got them for mine via Kawasaki dealer, looked up the part numbers on the schematics

You need one of each: 92009-1373 and 92009-1091

Hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
the tool kit (which most of us dont have, been long lost) has the tool for that screw. yea, its just a big arse flat head, or a smaller one in the small side of the slots..

a little anti-seize on the threads will help next time if its tough to get off

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Actually the screw is designed to be removed with a coin.
(Can't remember if it's a quarter or a nickel or what)... but it's dished out for something round. I don't remember there being a specific tool in the stock tool kit for it.

I found the perfect sized washer that fit it and used that....but yes, a big ass screwdriver will work too, just don't over tighten it.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Hmm, mine aren't dished out. Wish they were! A quarter slips right out.
Sorry...my bad. The screws on my Bonneville are dished out, a nickel is what fits.... But you can use a nickel on the Vulcan too...it's the right thickness to match the grooves.
(Just went to the garage to verify this...;))

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Actually the screw is designed to be removed with a coin.
(Can't remember if it's a quarter or a nickel or what)... but it's dished out for something round. I don't remember there being a specific tool in the stock tool kit for it.

I found the perfect sized washer that fit it and used that....but yes, a big ass screwdriver will work too, just don't over tighten it.
x2 A coin does the job perfectly. My 2000 has the dished out cross groves as mentioned and there is nothing in my original tool kit that seems to work. Using a washer is great and can be carried on the key ring so it is aways handy rather than stuffed in the rear tool box where it will be lost just before you need it out on the road.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
If you cannot turn the coin or washer by hand, a lot more torque can be applied with pliers or a vise grip. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
If you cannot turn the coin or washer by hand, a lot more torque can be applied with pliers or a vise grip. :)
Well I'd say if someone couldn't have figured that out for themselves, they should probably let someone else work on their bike... ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Replaced 'Em

I wacked the ears off of the left hand cover "screw" trying to get it off. Ended up tapping it with a screwdriver and a hammer until it finally turned enough to get it out. I replaced it with a M6x30 metric phillips head bolt with a washer the same size as the "screw" head. Works much better. Replaced the other side with a M6x45 for good measure. Just have to be careful not to over tighten it. I plan to put a collar on the bolt the same size as the shank of the original when I get to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts