Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was posted in responce on another thread & I hate to hyjack. I've never found an answer for this on the site. That doesn't mean I missed something. I'm a pretty casual browser. But I'm tired of pulling over & waiting for the bike to fire again.

& it always does. It acts like it has no fuel in between the initial Die & switch. Now I will say I noticed this happening after I shaved & did not rejet. I used a "Colortune" plug to justify my actions & in performance I have nothing to complain about... ecept when I get on it in twisties, I seem to die out after a little "Throttle Run", & that's understandable with the lack of fuel foer the performance. But why the die from run to res? FYI, The cock has been rebuilt recently... quit laughing and just answer! thanks all. Kanuck69

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
I haven't had the problem you describe. On all of my bikes the motor will slow a nd sputter but quick reposition of the petcock to reserve and I can continue on running.

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
First question:

When you switch from run to reserve do you do this because the bike is begining to sputter like it is running out of gas?

Secound question:

This sounds like the phantom running out of gas syndrome...Have you tried keeping a spare key in the gas cap to open it up when the bike begins to faulter?

Third question:

Are you sure the bike needs to go to reserve...? meaning how much gas is in the tank when this happens?

KM

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First question:

When you switch from run to reserve do you do this because the bike is begining to sputter like it is running out of gas? Yes

Secound question:

This sounds like the phantom running out of gas syndrome...Have you tried keeping a spare key in the gas cap to open it up when the bike begins to faulter? No, I only have one key.

Third question:

Are you sure the bike needs to go to reserve...? meaning how much gas is in the tank when this happens? Yes, I've clocked my milage several times & the fuel level would be at a range that I could need to switch. I know some just leave it on reserve but that doesn't seem like much of a solution.

KM
Had to type something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem and solved it by removing the plastic diaphram units from the gas cap. Remove the cap and do it on the work bench so you don't drop andy screws in the gas tank.
Mike G

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
When you switch from the "run" to "reserve" because the bike is sputtering like it is running out of gas.. it's because the bike IS running out of gas, from the main feed. That means you have air pockets in your lines, and no gas. Therefore it takes a little bit for the solid gas flow to resume.
I do not experience this if I switch over to reserve before the sputtering and do the switch when I see the gas indicator creeping towards that red zone.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Why do you let the fuel go so low that you have to switch to reserve in the first place? I have had to do that only once during my whole biking career. If you constantly do that, you eventually chop of pieces of rubber from the petcock, and guess where they end up! You'd better have in-line filters!

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Why do you let the fuel go so low that you have to switch to reserve in the first place? I have had to do that only once during my whole biking career. If you constantly do that, you eventually chop of pieces of rubber from the petcock, and guess where they end up! You'd better have in-line filters!
My commute is 136 miles round trip It happens more than you'd think that I need reserve. I guess my best solution is to leave it in res.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
I have noticed about the same, and I think that you loose vacuum when you switch from run to reserve. I also think that some of the hot fuel starts has to do with vapor lock in the fuel lines or air pockets after bike is hot and sits for about 15 min. If I let it set for about another 15 to 20 minutes it will easily start again. I have a good AGM battery and the iridium plugs. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My commute is 136 miles/218.87 round trip It happens more than you'd think that I need reserve. I guess my best solution is to leave it in res.
My two cents. I do exactly the same as you. I drive about 70 miles to work round trip. I use the reserve nearly every time as an "idiot light" to tell me I have about 20 miles to go. :smiley_th

Mine will sputter - I switch to reserve and no problems, BUT one cylinder seems to run out maybe ten seconds before the other so the engine is still running when I switch. I have accidently switched to "OFF" instead and it did as you describe. My point is: Possibly both your cylinders drop out at the same time???

Also, if you have an inline fuel filter, it may slow the return of fuel to the carbs when you switch to reserve.

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
If you know you're going to get 160 miiles from a full tank with a little to spare, and you're waiting for the odometer to hit 150-155 as an indicator to get some gas, why not use res all the time? I just don't see the point using a switch if you know how far you can go on 3.5 gallons.

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
If you know you're going to get 160 miiles from a full tank with a little to spare, and you're waiting for the odometer to hit 150-155 as an indicator to get some gas, why not use res all the time? I just don't see the point using a switch if you know how far you can go on 3.5 gallons.
That would require paying attention to and remembering how many miles your odometer had when you got the gas.

I always just watched the fuel gauge. When it got to a certain point I stopped for gas. I think that is what it is there for......lol.

And there is nothing as embarrassing as hearing your bike start to cough from running out of gas and then reaching down to switch it to "resserve" only to find it already switched there.

KM

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
That would require paying attention to and remembering how many miles your odometer had when you got the gas.
Well then - since my trip odometer is habitually set to 000 at each fill up, that's easy for me to do.

I always just watched the fuel gauge. When it got to a certain point I stopped for gas. I think that is what it is there for......lol.
yeah... yeah... I agree with that too but the gauge is only accurate for the main tank, right? Not what's available in the lower reserve portion. If I'm always set to reserve it's no more than a benchmark, so I use miles driven.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All great answers. So easiest solution is to keep doing what I'm doing. Ride it like a car. Leave it on res & get gats when the needle gets low & I'm around the 110 mark. Still not a fix but liveable. =)

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
This was posted in responce on another thread & I hate to hyjack. I've never found an answer for this on the site. That doesn't mean I missed something. I'm a pretty casual browser. But I'm tired of pulling over & waiting for the bike to fire again.

& it always does. It acts like it has no fuel in between the initial Die & switch. Now I will say I noticed this happening after I shaved & did not rejet. I used a "Colortune" plug to justify my actions & in performance I have nothing to complain about... ecept when I get on it in twisties, I seem to die out after a little "Throttle Run", & that's understandable with the lack of fuel foer the performance. But why the die from run to res? FYI, The cock has been rebuilt recently... quit laughing and just answer! thanks all. Kanuck69
When you start to die basicaly the bowls are empty, it can take 10-15 seconds to fill the bowles after you switch. Some slower some faster depending on how well your tank is venting.

You can remove the diaphrams in the gas cap and just keep the paper gasket, it seems to cure alot of venting problems. :beerchug:

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Why don't you take an empty large plastic gas treatment container, fill it with gas and keep it in your saddlebag. This will give you an extra 5 miles or so to get to a gas station if you ever do run out of gas. And it won't take up much room in your bag.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts