Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried the heated hand grips made by Show Chrome? If so, do you know how many watts they use and does anyone have any good ideas about which wires on the bike to connect them to?

I have another pair of heated grips from Hot Grips on my other bike and they are fantastic. They are pretty much wired straight to the bike's battery with an extra fuse and an extra switch under the seat so I can turn them off when parked and not worry about someone killing my battery when playing around with my bike's switches. It would make more sense to wire heated grips to a wire that was hot when the ignition was on, but I'm worried about over loading any of the stock wiring and causing a short somewhere.

The Show Chrome heated grips have a very nice handlebar mounted heat controller which will save a lot of trouble looking for a place to mount a switch.

Any thoughts? Thanks -Sloppy

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
For wiring it to be on when the engine's on, run a relay to a switched wire and have the power coming direct from the battery and switched on/off by the relay. Probably a good idea to do that as well as the handlebar mounted heat controller - that way someone doesn't turn it on when the bike's off and run down your batt.

As long as you don't have any other electrical accy's on your bike ya should be fine... just keep an eye on your batt monitor at first.

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
Most grip heaters use about 2-4 amps at 13 volts. What this works out to in watts...not sure. But wiring direct to the battery is how I would go, and use a good 14 guage wire. The Vulcan offers about 70 watts for accessories, and this is only if the bike is spinning at the higher rpms and the fan is not running.
Driving lights and heated grips going at the same time is not advised.

KM

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Amps*Volts=Watts, so 2-4 amps at 13 volts (from KM's post) would be 26-52 watts.

I'd be cautious as KM said about using the driving lights and heated grips at the same time.

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys.

One more small follow up question... does anyone have a favorite relay in mind for things like this?

-Sloppy

·
2FAS4U
469 Posts
You can get a universal relay for about $5 at most parts stores. You can find them near the driving lights. 30 amp constant 40 amp peak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts