Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Chad!

Klingon1961 and I have been trading emails about testing our CDI units - his testing showed open reads where there shouldn't have been; and I purchased a unit off a eBay (the seller didn't say it was tested) and I got some weird open readings across a couple of the terminals. Looked more closely at the Service Manual in re: the igniter testing and there are all these warnings about "Only use Kaw Ingiter Tester part number 123 XYZ" or the user might get some errant readings.

Question: What would be so special about the Kaw tester that it would yield "more correct" readings than a standard multimeter? And if Klingon and I both have "failed" readings across the same leads, is it possible that both of our igniters are ok and that we're being punished :boxing: for not having the Kaw tool(haven't checked yet, just wondering)?

Thanks for your help - you know me and electronics; getting there, but lots of room for learning. ;)

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I will have to look into that, The Kawi tester may have a built in resistor or a diode in it.
I have not checked a ignitor yet, may be a good thing I will bring up at the gathering.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Sorry I dod not get back to you sooner, It looks like they are looking for a Dwel meter.
Most people don't even know what they are anmore, funny I have one.
A anoalog meter will work but not great.
Looks like on Page 306 on the Clymer tells the resistance readings across terminals with the Ohm meter set at RX10

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Chad. I'll give it a shot - I now have 3 multimeters (2 digital, 1 analog) 'cause somewhere along the way I convinced myself that it was the meter, and not operator error... one of the three will probably do the trick. I just need to find a more skilled operator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts