Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a little more dive in the front than I'd prefer. Don't think I need a total shock rebuild as it's not that old, or has that many miles. Has anyone gone to a heavier oil for theirs?

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Like Glenn said, and I wish they had left the air on the later Mods.... But I went to progressives & 15W fork oil, seems to work pretty good for me...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Supposed to go out of town (in the truck :() so I may just drain them while I'm gone and refill it with the 15w.

Prolly save the progressive spring change for when I replace the front tire.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
In the Verses, there are a couple threads about fork oil, and changing it. Here's a point worth noting from one of those threads-

What I've found to work good in forks is 5W for riders up to about 140 lbs, 10W for riders 140-185 lbs, and 15W for riders over 185 lbs.
It's also suggested in there, as well as by some other members here, to use "Bel-Ray" fork oil when you change it. ;)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Doug. I guess seeing the rider weight with the oil weight would explain it. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
Heavier oil will not cure front end "dive"..only stiffer springs will.

I dissagree with the fork oil reccomendation, 15w Belray is the way to go if you are 130 lbs or 280. Heavier riders should just add a bit more preload to their Progressive springs.

So, if you do not have time to install new springs, but time to change the oil, you can at least add some preload to the stock springs by stacking up some washers or using something like some old sockets.

KM

·
Registered
311 Posts
15w oil will slow the rate of dive, compared to 5w oil. It takes more energy to push the heaver oil through the orifices, than it does for the lighter oil. So in essence it adds to the spring rate.

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
15w oil will slow the rate of dive, compared to 5w oil. It takes more energy to push the heaver oil through the orifices, than it does for the lighter oil. So in essence it adds to the spring rate.

In essence yes, but spring rate is figured by how much a spring compresses with X amount of weight on it. Time is not a consideration here. Weak springs and heavy oil are not the answer, just a lazy mans fix.

The Vulcans orifices are kind of large..so the effects of a heavier oil are less noticable than with some other bikes.

But yes, thicker oil will "slow down" the movement in most other cases.

KM

·
Registered
311 Posts
Agreed

You could always add Kawasaki Fork spring seat pn# 44029-1120 and air valve pn#16126-1105 and turn your newer forks into air assist forks. Or drill and tap the spring seat and add a Schraeder valve. Only if your fork seals are in good shape.
I run mine at around 3psi. 7psi is max.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts