Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's '98 has started leaking from the left shock. When it was purchased only had 6000 miles on it so I assume the seals dried out. Looks as if they can not be rebuilt so a after market set or a used shock are our only option?
Can't afford a set of 412 so would one (or a set) from ebay be my cheapest way to go? Any other ideas?
Ken In Orlando

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
It kind of depends on what you want to do. If you want to replace the shock(s) and lower it at the same time you may be able to find some shorter sportster shocks used that would work. There are other brands beside Progressive Suspension for new shocks that are cheaper. But if you just want to replace the one that you have a problem with, ebay or someone on here is probably your best bet. Post a thread in the Sell or Swap section and see if you can get anyone that has one they want to sell.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
It kind of depends on what you want to do. If you want to replace the shock(s) and lower it at the same time you may be able to find some shorter sportster shocks used that would work. There are other brands beside Progressive Suspension for new shocks that are cheaper. But if you just want to replace the one that you have a problem with, ebay or someone on here is probably your best bet. Post a thread in the Sell or Swap section and see if you can get anyone that has one they want to sell.
Welcome to the forum.

x2 ...a set of original used shocks should be available here.

Try PM 'ing kennyw.

:smiley_th:

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I'm not sure what your looking to do here. By far the cheapest/best way is to simply replace the seals & change out the old oil.

There are several write ups about it if you search.
I've done it & so have many others. If your son can help you, it's certainly easier with two
People but one can do it.

If I'm not mistaken, bulldog has a good write up with pics.

·
2,526 Posts
Are you looking for rear shocks? I have an extra stock set. If you're interested PM me.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Tripping is not always a bad thing.....ahem....

EN 454 LTD shocks are the exact same length(1/4" shorter) so you can search them too...I put a set on my VN and I love em !...5 way adjustable....no air though....

NB...not good if your son is 225 lbs plus though....

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I have set of 412's on my 1500,I would part with,I really need to step up to 440's or change the oil in my stocker's and go back to them so I can adjust the preload with air again, they are 12 or 12.5 inch i can't remember which.I have added hard bags and a trunk and need to be able to compensate for the added load,100 bucks and shipping will buy them.I put about 10,000 miles on them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts