Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the large rear tire and stock frnt tire from J&P Cycles. both including shipping for just under 150$. They call them the tour master.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
I bought a new rear for the 900 I had for a while. Same brand and model. Seemed to be an ok tire. Ran me $90.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
Let the mileage evaluation begin!

I got a pair of oversized 230 Tourmasters from Pinwall Cycle in Ohio, off Ebay for $129.

Not mounted yet, but probably will while waiting for the stator. Got some Ride-On for half price off the Ride-On scratch n dent web page.

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
A while ago I replaced my Dunlop rear tire with a Skinko 230, and at the same time I decided to change the rear brake shoes just for the hell of it. Before that if I wasn't careful I would skid the rear wheel by over-braking. With the new brake shoes I found the wheel wouldn't skid even I applied a lot more force than before. I was really worried that the brake shoes weren't gripping well or that I had installed them wrong. Today, during a rider training course I got up to about 20 mph and stomped on it with everything I had and sure enough the tire squealed for me. I think the difference was not that the brakes don't grab,but that the tire doesn't skid!

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
Have enough miles on the brake shoes for them to be seated? Stock size or oversize tire?

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Oversize tire and 500 miles. It's just a much stickier tire than the Dunlop.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Those of you who ride on Shinko 230's, what tire pressure are you running?

I just installed Ride On and took the tires to 35#. Both.

I had them at 30# and felt I had lost handling. I have tried 30, 32, 34 before. I intend to leave them here for 100+mi.

Should I try higher than 35#, seems like a lot?

Oh yeah, I really like the Shinko's, great tire for the money so far. After 8 miles, I like the Ride On.

·
Super Moderator
11,928 Posts
Those of you who ride on Shinko 230's, what tire pressure are you running?

I just installed Ride On and took the tires to 35#. Both.

I had them at 30# and felt I had lost handling. I have tried 30, 32, 34 before. I intend to leave them here for 100+mi.

Should I try higher than 35#, seems like a lot?

Oh yeah, I really like the Shinko's, great tire for the money so far. After 8 miles, I like the Ride On.
Been wondering this myself. Shinko doesn't list a recommended psi chart anywhere anyone has looked. I've heard various pressures for their tires by owners but no other data here other than "seat of my pants".

Only way I know to find a good running pressure is to take temperatures of the tire at various pressures under the same conditions and pick the one that gives the coolest temp.

For reference here, Metzler suggests 42 psi rear for their 880 I believe.

·
Registered
100 Posts
shinko

been using mine for nearly a 1000kms at 28psi front and 32psi back. They vary by 1.5psi when hot after a long drive. They seem fine to carry my 175 pounds frame.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Used one shinko 230 on the rear. 4000 miles of hot summer riding and it was slick as a peeled onion. Had grip for sure. Too soft rubber for Alabama asphalt. My Dunlop Harley rubber has 12000 miles on it and still got some miles left in it.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
A long time ago yokohama made mc tires but they decided to end that product line

When the did they offered there employees the chance to buy the equipment and rent space from them to manufacture there own mc tires

The employees of yokohama jumped on the idea and started the brand shinko tires so shinko is infact still produced by the same people that produce yokohama car tires

That being said the 230 tour masters are a bit soft for my liking they grip fantastic but wear quickly

For a few bucks more you can get a shinko 712f and a 722r and they will last longer

I have the 712 on my bike with close to 6k clocked on it and it still looks damn near new

I had a bad atraction to loose nails onthe road and picked up three of them while I had my 722 on the rear so I went with a car tire back there but my brother in law stuck the 722 that I had on my vulcan right on the back of his shadow 750 with a tube in it and he has put 7 or 8k on it so far

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Ive been lookin for real WWs for Bessie...and Shinko got em....next brand is almost double the price....I dont ride crazy, usually, only sometimes, so methinks these would last me awhile....

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/32/404/15042/ITEM/Shinko-SR550-White-Wall-Front---Rear-Tire.aspx?SiteID=Google_PLA404&WT.mc_ID=10012&esvt=0-GOUSC&esvadt=9-0-3886819-1&esvaid=30548&kw={keyword}&gclid=CPSxvZTu07gCFcue4Aod7joAOQ

Think Id more like the 777s....

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
I've been kicking back & forth between the shinko 712/722 or 777 and the kenda kruz 673. They are about the same $ and review pretty well. My biggest concern is how well they'll handle the heat here. Hot greasy asphalt doesn't agree with a lot of tires.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Ya generally would think youd want a harder compound in yer area, right ?...wrong....ya want softer....like a Dunlop....hard tires will tend to sometimes "skate" in really hot climates....softer tends to "meld" better with the surface and forgives more oopsies....dont last as long, but safer in your sit....

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ive been lookin for real WWs for Bessie...and Shinko got em....next brand is almost double the price....I dont ride crazy, usually, only sometimes, so methinks these would last me awhile....

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/32/404/15042/ITEM/Shinko-SR550-White-Wall-Front---Rear-Tire.aspx?SiteID=Google_PLA404&WT.mc_ID=10012&esvt=0-GOUSC&esvadt=9-0-3886819-1&esvaid=30548&kw={keyword}&gclid=CPSxvZTu07gCFcue4Aod7joAOQ

Think Id more like the 777s....
I got mine from J&P cycles.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Yup....and actually JP has better prices....Ive dealt with em before...they just had a big tire sale too... no WW in there though, lol.....

I wish I was in Bamma that weekend Chuck....I'dda grabbed em....look away, look away, look away....

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
Bikemaster has some Shinko tires on sale right now. Got mine from Pinwall Cycle through Ebay.

Over 2000 miles on mine, still look new, no problems. Were sticking real nice when I smoked that sport bike in the twisties the other day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts