Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been watching my tires pretty close and the other day, out of the blue I have developed cracks in the front, between the treads. These are the factory tires that came on my 04 and just turned 4k miles and tread looks like new. Kind of like me age decided to kick in!!! Rear still looks perfect but am going to change out both for safety reasons. Have looked at Shinko's and think I will go with the 230 Tour Master for the rear, but one place I'm looking their chart says the TM brand won't fit the VN 750 front, what I found is the SR733. Reading past post I came across where tires were marked one size but ended up not being that size, was that Shinko or Pin Wall or just a odd thing that happened? As stated here before people, keep an eye on these tires as age does matter!! :beerchug:

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Just ordered a Shinko 230 for the front myself. I was a little wery about how much less that cost than the nightdragon's I was considering but their reviews are fantastic and for $60 I'm giving them a try.

·
Registered
856 Posts
That may have been my post you read about the 733s actual size being different than marked. based on what others have said, I believe that it is an issue with the particular model of tire and the 'fault' of Shinko and nothing to do with Pinwall.

IMHO, if you find a deal on a set of Shinkos that others have verified fit the 750 OK, go for it, however, it seems the 733s will not fit.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
tourmaster 230's front and rear on mine....

yea, of them shinkos on yours are factory, they shoulda been replaced 4 yrs ago. usually don't run them much over 6 yrs for safety reasons.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
while I rarely get over 55 mph around here, I found my shinko's to be pretty well balanced from factory, if the pink dot is installed at the valve stem.

considered using some ride-on, but haven't jumped to it yet

·
Registered
8,446 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Another vote for Shinko TM 230s. I replaced my stock tires with oversized Shinkos and got close 14k miles out of the rear, which I just replaced again. The front is still going strong after 14k+ miles. When I replaced the rear I lined up the dot with the valve stem and used ride-on too and it seems to be balanced perfectly.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I run Shinko 777s....I love em....first few days I had to "burn em in" to rough em up a lil, but after that, were great.....I got mine at Superstore, they have free shipping....and they always done me right.....no delays, no BS...their cust service is great....ya dont talk to India....

Pinwall has a great rep....I plan on making a trip there one day to visit Ruger and buy a 1500 front end.....they have some great buys as well....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Last season we installed a set of Bridgestone Spitfires to our 750. I've been running Shinko's 009 Raven Sport Touring tire on my Suzuki Bandit 1200S for the past 4 season's, and have gotten incredible mileage out of them for a 500+ lb Sport oriented bike that gets ridden fairly hard on occasion. Every other brand of tire I have tried on that bike varied from as little as 4000 miles to around 7000 miles. Every set of Shinko's I've had on it have gone at least 10k miles. My last set lasted me 12k, and the set that's on it right now are coming up on 11,000 miles and have maybe around 1000-1500 miles or so left in them.

Not to mention the price difference. The other brands I was using varied between $300 to nearly $400 a set mounted and balanced (bringing in just the wheels off the bike). I usually can get the Shinko's for my Bandit around $180 for the set shipped to my door, and can have them mounted and balanced for around $50 at the local shop.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,767 Posts
I run Shinko 777s....I love em....first few days I had to "burn em in" to rough em up a lil, but after that, were great.....I got mine at Superstore, they have free shipping....and they always done me right.....no delays, no BS...their cust service is great....ya dont talk to India....

Pinwall has a great rep....I plan on making a trip there one day to visit Ruger and buy a 1500 front end.....they have some great buys as well....

what?!......that's news to me! when did this happen?! lol Wolfie, you really have got to keep me in the loop on these kind of things. lol ;)
you know, I should really take a ride down to Pinwall and check it out. it's really not that far away from me.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I emailed you about that a year ago....bout taking a trip there to get a 1500 front end and Id stop in and harass ya....lol.....

Its only been recent that my biz is starting to go well, that I might be able to actually do it.....lol

Hell, its only across Pennsy....I can sleep the whole way.....(*wink* to the Pennsyltuckyans)...gods country...but I'll tell ya...runnin across on I-80, aint much ta keep ya awake, lol....beautiful though....

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replys, I ordered Shinko 230 Tour Masters today and should be at my door on Wednesday. Getting the wheel off the rear won't be a problem as I'v done that one for the spline lube, am sure the front won't be a big deal. Not having tire irons and the like will prob take them to a local shop for mounting and balance. Am thinking with new rubber I should get a better smother ride as my old original tires were bound to be a little on the harder side! Thanks again--RB

·
Registered
856 Posts
I emailed you about that a year ago....bout taking a trip there to get a 1500 front end and Id stop in and harass ya....lol.....

Its only been recent that my biz is starting to go well, that I might be able to actually do it.....lol

Hell, its only across Pennsy....I can sleep the whole way.....(*wink* to the Pennsyltuckyans)...gods country...but I'll tell ya...runnin across on I-80, aint much ta keep ya awake, lol....beautiful though....
I-80 sucks... too many trucks.
Come across on Route 6. It's a much nicer ride. Unless you REALLY want to be going 75+mph the entire way.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,767 Posts

you emailed me a year ago?!....hell, you know I've got "CRS"! :BLAM: lol
I bet, I also told you to let me know when you where going to make that trip and I'd see if I could ride down there and meet up with ya. the roads down there are better for riding then the ones up here. you wouldn't like the roads up here. too flat, too straight and the traffic sucks. all the cagers drive like aceholes. not as bad a NYC cagers, but still bad.

I-80 sucks... too many trucks.
Come across on Route 6. It's a much nicer ride. Unless you REALLY want to be going 75+mph the entire way.
yup. besides, RT 6 is closer to me anyways. :smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I duuno...once ya get outta Pittsburgh, its nice all the way to the Jersey line....then its just 287 north to Wolfie Country, lol....last time I went thru StateCollege, roads were dead....

I like takin I-84 outta here west....once ya get to Scranton though, then what ???....lol...Rt 6 to the Ohio line (slow but sweet....like an old GF I used to have, lol)....

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the 230 TM,s today. Was ordered on Monday just before noon. Got them from MC Superstore. Much satisfied so far with purchase. Thanks dyllansant, had heard about fast wear on here but I,m not an aggressive rider so these tires should last me until they dry rot again! My originals only have 4k on them!! We'll see, hopefully better ride now with new rubber. Hopefully can get them on soon. After reading other post, think I will go the old fashioned route and do the wheel weight balance thing---

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Hay RB.....the way tires are made nowadays, they dont need balancing....the wheels however do....used to be the other way around.....

VN rims aint bad, unless ya plan on ridin over 60mph a lot.....

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
my shinko 230's required no additional balance weight. just make sure the pink dot on the sidewall is lined up with the valve stem. that dot marks the lightest point on the tire from the factory

1 - 20 of 20 Posts