Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see in the threads a lot of mentions for Metzler, Dunlop, Bridgestones and more.

Being the Old Dog is retired and on a pension, I elected to try the Shinkos. I bought them from Motorcycle Superstore where the people rated them pretty good. I mounted them myself and used the Ceramic Dyna Beads for balancing and with about 1200 miles on the I'd thought I'd post what's happening.

These V rated tires ride and handle better than the Dunlop 404s I took off. At speeds over 85 they feel much more stable than the Dunlops. A lower speeds they don't wander as much. Not bad for a bargain tire.

Most of my recreational riding is pretty much staight line, high speed with some sweepers once in a while.

As for the beads. I used no weights on the wheels. At highway speeds I reach down and feel the lower forks. No vibrations at all. My friend says samefor the rear. I had to replace my last set of tires because of a bad balance job from a dealer. 8000 miles and a 6" area of the tire was bald and the rest had 1/8' tread left.

Has anyone had any experience with Shinko tires or Dyna Beads? So far I'm happy with them.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I'm using Shinko Tourmasters on my Honda GL500 Silverwing and my VN. Very pleased with them so far. I've recommended them to several people that run budget tires.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Being the cheapskate I am, I installed the Shinko's as well. Sooooo much better than the worn-out skins that I got with the bike. No problems or concerns so far.

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
I just had a local shop install both front and rear Shinko tourmaster 230's on my '86 and they are excellent! They replaced a set of Cheng Shin Marquis series tires that had very low miles on them. One ride in the rain with the Cheng shin tires and they were SO BAD that they had to come off and be replaced. I went with the Shinko's because on my previous bike I had a set of Shinko 712 series tires that were also excellent at everything I did on them. I just can't bring myself to pay all that money for Dunlop 404's when all the reviews I can find online seem to rate these as a better replacement for the 404's (most say thay last about twice as long). Also the V speed rating and the fact that all these tires are is Yokohoma motorcycle tires with a different name since Shinko bought out Yokohoma's motorcycle tire division (rubber technology and tire molds). I am not saying anything bad about Dunlop 404's since I have never owned any, I am just really satisfied with the 230's performance (both wet and dry).:D

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I had Shinko 120F/200R x 17's A005's radials on my Meanie, liked them a lot. Then they came out with the Avon Storms, like them even better.

Jon

·
Registered
6 Posts
shinko is actually a division of yokohama tires so even at an economy price they are not cheap-ass tires.
they are a great mileage tire due to the hard rubber compound.
good bang for the buck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts