Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get new tires. Has anybody had any experience with Shinko 777s? How did they work out for you?

If not, what tires do you all recommend?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just bought a pair of whitewall Shinko 777s from Amazon - price was unbeatable. From what I have read about them, they don't last as long as other brands; but, for the price they are cheaper per mile. The people riding them liked the quality, they just tend to wear faster.

Shipping was free, and quick. I have an appointment to have them put on my bike Tuesday, if you haven't decided by then I can let you know how they look and feel.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Tires

There are a lot of different opinions of the best tires. If you search the forum for tires you will have a lot of reading and may help you make a decision. A lot of what tire is best depends on your riding style.

Good Luck and Ride Safe

Mcneuby

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
There are a lot of different opinions of the best tires. If you search the forum for tires you will have a lot of reading and may help you make a decision. A lot of what tire is best depends on your riding style.
X2. I have the Shinko 230s. I got almost 14k miles out of the rear and just replaced it with another Shinko 230. The front is still going strong. But your mileage may vary (literally).

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Have one season on a set of Shinko 230 Tourmaster, 4000 miles and they still look new. I'm satisfied with the ride and handling.

Got a card from these guys the other day, says free shipping and up to 62% off:

www.shinkotiresdirect.com

·
Registered
856 Posts
Have one season on a set of Shinko 230 Tourmaster, 4000 miles and they still look new. I'm satisfied with the ride and handling.

Got a card from these guys the other day, says free shipping and up to 62% off:

www.shinkotiresdirect.com
FYI:

www.shinkotiresdirect.com is owned and operated by Pinwall Cycles. I know a few people have commented on here that Pinwall is less than reliable, expectantly when it comes to tires. So just a heads up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just bought a pair of whitewall Shinko 777s from Amazon - price was unbeatable. From what I have read about them, they don't last as long as other brands; but, for the price they are cheaper per mile. The people riding them liked the quality, they just tend to wear faster.

Shipping was free, and quick. I have an appointment to have them put on my bike Tuesday, if you haven't decided by then I can let you know how they look and feel.

That would be much appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
FYI:

www.shinkotiresdirect.com is owned and operated by Pinwall Cycles. I know a few people have commented on here that Pinwall is less than reliable, expectantly when it comes to tires. So just a heads up.
Really? I hadn't seen those comments, but I knew they had become a shinko dealer. They were great every time I bought anything, answered my questions, good shipping, etc. I know there are some old comments on the web about Pinwall shipping old tires, so that was one of the questions I asked them. The lady said they wouldn't be in business very long doing that. My tires were three months old when I got them. Maybe someone bought used tires from a parts bike?

I know I did comment that I saw turn signal relocators on some of their parts bikes, but they never put any up for sale on Ebay. Emailed them about those parts and they just said all they have is listed on Ebay.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I'm running my second set of shinko tour masters.
My only complaint is the edges cupped on my last set.
But, that was near the end of their life. So, they performed pretty much as expected.
I'll buy a third set when the time comes.
Mileage on the last set was about 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input!

Question on your mufflers: Have you noticed any reduction in power, performance, or smoothness since installing them?

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
My 2 whitewalls are 777 Shinkos....got em from Motorcycle Superstore....they aint done me wrong yet....free shipping.....both together were like $160....

Were a lil slick for the first few miles, but a few turns on gravel roads/tar and chip cleaned em up fine.....I mounted my own....I get almost TOO good a grip on the rear....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the input!

Question on your mufflers: Have you noticed any reduction in power, performance, or smoothness since installing them?
Nope, no issues whatsoever. If anything, it feels a little "snappier" when I lay on the throttle. If you notice the position of the mufflers in the photo, you might have been able to infer how I installed them. I did NOT remove the goat's belly / pre-muffler in which there WOULD be a power loss.

For the price of the mufflers, I would definitely recommend! It's a simple solution to a sound a lot of VNs are looking for. Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 2 whitewalls are 777 Shinkos....got em from Motorcycle Superstore....they aint done me wrong yet....free shipping.....both together were like $160....

Were a lil slick for the first few miles, but a few turns on gravel roads/tar and chip cleaned em up fine.....I mounted my own....I get almost TOO good a grip on the rear....

Free shipping, AND it was fast. My total was $165.35, which is a pretty attractive price if you ask me.. :rockon:

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I wouldnt ride the Shinkos at 100mph + fer extended periods, but if yer usually 70mph or under, theyre more than fine....and DOT approved....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wouldnt ride the Shinkos at 100mph + fer extended periods, but if yer usually 70mph or under, theyre more than fine....and DOT approved....
I very rarely go that fast. I took her up to 105 once or twice but that's about it. Most of my cruising is between 55 on the back roads and 70 on the freeway. (Insert comment here about my distaste for riding straight roads on a bike.)

Thanks for all the input guys! I believe I'll be ordering the 777s pretty soon. My tires have great tread left on them, but they are 7 years old so I'd better replace them. A good friend of mine just wiped out pretty badly because one of his tires blew. He's skinned up pretty badly, and very, very sore. I'm gonna play it safe!

For this tire change, I'll take it to the local Kawasaki dealer and watch it being done. Hopefully I'll learn enough from watching to be able to do it smoothly by myself next time.

Oh Wolfie, what do you mean by "too much grip"?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
tourmaster 230's here. maybe 1k on em so far (new this feb).

got them for like 148 shipped...(webtiresales.com) if I remember right. and took only 4 days from order time to delivery (was ordered on a weekend)

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
when I say "too much grip", my Kendas used to burn out easy, and I could "chirp" 2nd and 3rd....this Shinko just grabs and the front end lifts, lol....

They remind me of the compound Dunlop used 25 yrs ago...soft compound, great traction, wear quicker....I had a Dunlop rear and an Avon front on my last custom Harley....loved em....soft compunds are great, but have very little "give"....so, if yer slidin sideways on gravel under power, and suddenly catch traction, you'll highside....harder compounds let ya slide through....

But I ride like a great grandpaw, so Id rather have the traction....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
when I say "too much grip", my Kendas used to burn out easy, and I could "chirp" 2nd and 3rd....this Shinko just grabs and the front end lifts, lol....

They remind me of the compound Dunlop used 25 yrs ago...soft compound, great traction, wear quicker....I had a Dunlop rear and an Avon front on my last custom Harley....loved em....soft compunds are great, but have very little "give"....so, if yer slidin sideways on gravel under power, and suddenly catch traction, you'll highside....harder compounds let ya slide through....

But I ride like a great grandpaw, so Id rather have the traction....

Good info, many thanks. I live on a gravel road so this is definitely something to think about. I do use extreme caution on the gravel tho...learned that the hard way. Got the back end of my cage to fishtailing on a loose patch a couple years ago...couldn't correct it in time to avoid the concrete bridge rail. Totaled the car and smashed my heel in to 11 pieces, broke 3 metatarsals. Not fun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts