Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally mounted the Shinko Tourmaster 230 tire on Saturday, and have ridden 200 miles, 1/2 of it 2-up. Here's my thoughts versus the ME-880 I removed:

1. From memory, the Shinko has one fewer ply than the ME-880, and seems to ride a little softer since the carcass isn't as rigid.
2. The Shinko is lighter than the Metz and is perfectly round with no molding mismatch
3. Shinko was slightly easier to mount and seat than the Metz.
4. Shinko required ~2 ounces to balance, the Metz required ~1.5. There is no observable vibration. This was a bit disappointing, but the tire rides fine.
5. RPM dropped 3% with the Shinko vs. the worn-out Metz.
6. At 41 psi (the max on the sidewall), the Shinko was harsh, but feels OK at38psi
7. Of course the bike handles better and is more responsive-- it has a new tire on it with a round cross-section-- I'm not sure I could fairly compare the handling or ride since the Metz was totally worn out, but I can say that the Shinko rear does well with grooved, cement pavement. The bike doesn't wallow as much on higher speed corners, but how much of this is simply because the tire is new, I can't say.
8. I got almost 20,000 miles out of the Metz, we'll see how the Shinko does...

Overall, a thumbs up so far. I'll mount the front in a week or two. :smiley_th

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I just ordered a set of Shinkos. Did you get the 230 Tour Masters?

Good info in regards to the psi.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Thanks for the review. Good info.

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1500 mile rambling update for rear Shinko 230: Still a big thumbs up- no abnormal signs of wear. The 230 is definitely more sticky than the Metz both wet and dry, so in that respect, I would say, safer. I haven't hit any hard rain, so can't comment on hydroplaning. Tire is around 34 psi now. With my gear and backpack, I weigh about 215 or so. Handling is not as good as it was at 38, and it is not noticeably more "cushy", so at my weight, riding style and preference, the sweet spot for pressure is around 36-38 psi. The reduced unsprung weight of the Shinko 230 vs ME-880 is definitely noticeable. I usually only put air in every month or so, but I check it more often. It's a funny thing that people who ride every day tend to be less careful about pre-ride inspections, but I ride enough that I can tell if there is a pressure issue before I get out of my neighborhood. I try to give the bike a once over on the weekend- last weekend I found the rear engine mount thru-bolt half unscrewed!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice to read all of this. I will be doing a rear tire in the next few months.

·
Redneck on a rice burner
179 Posts
I love these tires. I've rode the Dragon & other roads HARD.They have Great grip & handling.Been riding on Shinko's for 5yrs now.

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3,200 mile upate: .175" tread depth remaining. That's about 5.5/32"

I didn't measure tread depth when new- does anybody have one they can measure? I figure I may not get 10,000 miles, when I can get about 19,000 out of the 880.

If I don't get 10,000 miles at the wear bars, I just may go to the darkside.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I put about 2k on my 230's so far.. Best tires I ever bought for the money.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I have these Shinkos sitting by my desk at work; maybe I'll finally get them put on this weekend while I am finishing tearing my bike apart.

I'll be sure to post a report ever few thousand miles as well.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I get 20,000 miles (two spline lubes) out of a set on ME880s, inflated to "max" pressure. No harshness at all, considering it is a motorcycle not a Cadillac. Handles fine. I am about to put two new ME880s on my '85 Goldwing, in the stock sizes. Still not sure why anyone would want to go bigger than stock. A car tire won't fit on a 1200 Goldwing, the sidewall of the tire is just a hair over 1/8" from the swingarm with the stock size.

·
Registered
399 Posts
3,200 mile upate: .175" tread depth remaining. That's about 5.5/32"

I didn't measure tread depth when new- does anybody have one they can measure? I figure I may not get 10,000 miles, when I can get about 19,000 out of the 880.

If I don't get 10,000 miles at the wear bars, I just may go to the darkside.
Lets say you get about 10,000 out of it, Look at how much the tire cost you. AND, you say its "stickier" hinting at a softer compound. The metz new is what, over $160?? So id say that the Shinko still wins over the metz on the basis of cost, and handling, even though the metz last longer, you also pay more. alot more.

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lets say you get about 10,000 out of it, Look at how much the tire cost you. AND, you say its "stickier" hinting at a softer compound. The metz new is what, over $160?? So id say that the Shinko still wins over the metz on the basis of cost, and handling, even though the metz last longer, you also pay more. alot more.
You have a good point, but when I factor in my time to replace the tire, my personal break even point is around 10,000 miles. However, I do really like the tire.

I'm still considering the darkside though, if I can fit a 165/80. I have seen talk about this size on the VN750, but only heresay so far.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Time is worth more to some than others, haha I'd rather replace it twice as oftenm but thats just because i only ride about 3,000 miles a year! So most likely I'd change a tire due to age before loss of tread. I bought my Shinko 170/80-15 the other day, so Im excited to see what it will do to my handling. You all can call me crazy, i admit that but im currently riding on a 150/90 Dunlop d404 with a date of 2001 on the tire!!!! Thats the only reason im changing it because i noticed how old it was! Its got a ton of tread on it, and no dryrot but id be an idiot not to change it!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
You have a good point, but when I factor in my time to replace the tire, my personal break even point is around 10,000 miles. However, I do really like the tire.

I'm still considering the darkside though, if I can fit a 165/80. I have seen talk about this size on the VN750, but only heresay so far.
Crznurs was running a 165H R15 Vredestein on her vn700 when she sold it.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11004

Also has a car tire (CT) on her new 1600 V-Star, and says she will never go back to a motorcycle tire on the rear of a cruiser.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13243

·
Registered
399 Posts
I just had my Shinko 170/80 mounted on my rim. I had no trouble getting the wheel back on the bike, it fit well. I set the pressure to 34 psi to start with and i will see how i like that. I took it for a short 6 mile ride. I noted almost NO rpm change. At 4k rpm i was rolling at about 55mph, I have a stock sized Bstone Spitfire on the front with 90% tread. Ive read a few times on here that people report 400 rpms lower with the 170/80. I however noticed a miniscuel change. anyway, the bike handled SO well. Night and day over my old d404 150/90. I love it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Here's on more rpm reading. 5k was spot on 70 mph. how close is this to you guys?

·
Registered
445 Posts
At 5k, I'm doing 75mph with the Commander II 170/80. With the Pirelli MT66 150/90 I was doing 70mph. As I posted elsewhere, the same size tire from different makers isn't the same size tire.

·
Registered
399 Posts
OK. So i guess that means that the Shinko 170/80 is close to the rolling distance of a 150/90.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts