Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Havin some fun.........
79 Posts
Same problem just happened to me

Hi everyone. I was riding my 93 a9 the other day when I stopped to resecure some luggage. Pulled in to a car park, re-tied the bag on the back and then went to pull away, but could not get out of neutral (everything else fine). had to get a bike shop to collect the bike and take to their workshop. The culprit was the spring which rests the pawl, it had slipped out of place. A quick push with a screwdriverand it popped back into place. I hope thats it for a while.
I was wondering if any body has had repeat problems with this? And is there anyway of reducing the risk of it happeneing again. I was sort of lucky this time as it happened in town, but would hate for it to happen out in the sticks. I read on other threads about tubes and collars being fitted around the gear shift shaft..is that internally or externally.
Any help appreciated.......ride free.........:pepper:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I got a new spring and no problems since.

·
Havin some fun.........
79 Posts
Cool thanks for the feedback. I will order a new spring up and fit as soon as possible. just hope the old one holds until then.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I read on other threads about tubes and collars being fitted around the gear shift shaft..is that internally or externally.
Any help appreciated.......ride free.........:pepper:
Glad ya got it fixed pretty easily!

As for the tubes/collars, that's for when the C-clip on the shaft (internal) fails. When this happens, the shift shaft slides in & out more than about 1/8 of an inch.
The collar then keeps the shaft from moving and causing shift problems.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
...and you stick the tube/collar on the outside of the bike between the case and the shifter lever.
the c-clip that comes off is internal, the tube/collar on the outside is a work around so that you don't have to pull the engine and open it up.

·
Havin some fun.........
79 Posts
Thanks for that info I may well do this fix before anything happens, sorta makes sense, prevention is better than cure........so they say

·
Registered
27 Posts
The, also, happened to me. with new spring in hand, I found the old one was certainly weak - very weak - compared to the new spring.

Bending the old one made it work OK, but I waited on the parts to get the new spring in place (I had to take the front bevel gear casing off to remove the bottom cover and didn't feel like doing that a second time just to replace a stinking spring...)

·
Havin some fun.........
79 Posts
Thanks for the info. The friend in the bike shop that mine ended up in explained to me what to do if it happens again, but implied that changing the old spring would be quite a task as the cover wont come off fully with the engine in. Is this right? Or am I missing a trick, Is it hard to do? I have some bike skills like I do my own servicing, have had the carbs off, have marbled the machine, fitted new exhausts and lights etc, but I havn't the equipment (or the inclination) to start removing the whole motor. I have rebuilt a z1000 before and although the outcome was great it took a long time and once inside I found lots of extra's that could do with replacing or grinding (valves) etc and I don't want the bike off the road for long as I use it daily.

:rockon:

·
Registered
175 Posts
With the engine in place, the shaft is too close to the frame rail for the cover to come all the way off. It can be rotated and shifted to an extent, but it's on there and makes a task that would take a good bit of dexterity anyway very demanding in that regard. It also makes it very fiddly to clean the gasket surfaces. I got it done and the new gasket doesn't leak, but it wasn't easy.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yup, you can do it. Be sure to drain out the oil first... It is a really tight space and there is really no way to get a new gasket on it either. I just made sure to oil it good before putting it back on and after having it off twice there are no leaks after almost a year. It is easier to do if you can put the bike on a jack. Otherwise you will be working with your head on the garage floor.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just wanted to say THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! to everybody on here. Ihad this same problem today and after taking it to a dealer service and being told these parts couldn't be gotten to without pulling the motor and splitting the case which would cost $1500 to $1800 they told me. I only paid $1200 for the bike so I loaded it back up on the trailer and took it home thinkin I could put it on the center stand and have a $1200 rocking horse.

Then I came on here and found this thread and wouldn't you know that spring had gotten weak and slipped out on mine too so I pulled it out and bent it around to make it more springy put it back together and it shifts better now than it did when I got the bike.

I don't know if this mechanic really didn't know what he was doing or if he knew it was an easy fix and just wanted to charge for the expensive fix either way I won't be going back to them even to order the new spring.

Once again THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!!!!! You saved me feeling guilty about buying saddlebags for it last night.

·
Premium Member
4,765 Posts
Might want to back with a big smile and tell the mechanic how you fixed it! Then tell him you think you'll do all your own wrenching from now. :baby:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Luckily it is not that hard to open it up and put it back together. I ordered a new spring, but I rode the bike for quite a while with the old one put back in before I changed it out. Unless the spring is broken I think you can just bend it out a little bit to add to it's "spring-i-ness" and put it right back in. Be careful not to damage the gasket on the cover when you open it. There are two little tabs, one on each side, meant to use with a screwdriver to pry the cover off. Smear a little oil on it before you close it back up and it won't leak. Let me know if you have any questions. I've done this twice this Summer, so I guess that makes me the current resident expert.
Do you have any photos of this?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts