Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not only has my stator died (oh joy) I found I have a leak where the shifter goes into the engine case. (thrilling part is this may be the cause for low oil allowing stator to croak) I've been advised to fix that problem at the same time the stator gets replaced, since it's all apart anyway.

Let's pretend for a moment I've decided I'm not going down without a fight and will do the work myself. Let's also assume I know the parts/steps needed for replacement of the stator.

What do I need to fix this leak? Cheapcycleparts isn't all that clear. I do have a Clymers manual.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Not only has my stator died (oh joy) I found I have a leak where the shifter goes into the engine case. (thrilling part is this may be the cause for low oil allowing stator to croak) I've been advised to fix that problem at the same time the stator gets replaced, since it's all apart anyway.

Let's pretend for a moment I've decided I'm not going down without a fight and will do the work myself. Let's also assume I know the parts/steps needed for replacement of the stator.

What do I need to fix this leak? Cheapcycleparts isn't all that clear. I do have a Clymers manual.
Why wait, remove the seal and install a new one. The seal comes out from the outside and the engine does not have to be removed.

Oil Seal 92051-005

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why wait, remove the seal and install a new one. The seal comes out from the outside and the engine does not have to be removed.
Oil Seal 92051-005
May as well wait... won't be riding again until the stator issue is resolved.
Thanks for the info.

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got the left engine cover off as of today and I can't figure it out how this shifter oil seal is removed, especially how it would have come off with the cover in place. Clymers manual doesn't appear to have any reference to it - at least I can't find it, the Kaw service manual shows (blurry) what it kind of looks like and where it goes but no other reference to it. I've probably damaged something trying to get it out and am stopping before it gets worse.

Cheapcycleparts parts diagram for the engine covers is wrong, so I have no point of reference to the part I will be ordering or how to get the existing one out (and the new one in). Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
To get the oil seal out with out taking the case off is kind of hard, but easy if you have a little bit of skill. Find a very small drill bit and drill a hole in the seal. Just go though the soutside only. Then find a screw that will fit into the hole drill into the seal. After putting the screw into the hole , now you have pry point to get the seal out. You might want to put a hole in the other side and then another screw to get 2 points to get the seal out with a pair of plyiers. Have done this a couple of times to get seals like this. best of luck.
It is a good idea when replacing the stator to replace this seal anyway.

·
Registered
796 Posts

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This thread began with "I've got the left engine cover off as of today and I can't figure it out how this shifter oil seal is removed"

Thanks for the replies, but I think I'm being misunderstood. With the cover left engine cover removed from the bike and in my hand, how does this seal get removed?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
This thread began with "I've got the left engine cover off as of today and I can't figure it out how this shifter oil seal is removed"

Thanks for the replies, but I think I'm being misunderstood. With the cover left engine cover removed from the bike and in my hand, how does this seal get removed?
Pry the seal out from the outside of the cover and tap new one in with a socket. :beerchug:

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay then... now that I know it's the entire thing and not just the rubber insides.
It is just so tight I didn't want to break anything.... else.
thanks Ron.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts