Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 94, the shifter suddenly stopped responding.
My wife and I were riding down the road, not at any particular clip or speed. We came to a light and I noticed, after down shifting and braking, that I couldn't get it in to neutral. The light changed, the clutch engaged just fine (checked cable after words as well, it's ok) and off we went...in what felt like second gear. When I tried to shift to third, nothing responded. There is no resistance when you try to shift at all, up or down. The shift pedal does return to a "neutral" position, but it seems to be stuck in second gear.
Any ideas?
I'm off the find the CLYMER manual for it today (hopefully)

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
How much play (side to side) does the shifter shaft have? If it has an eighth inch or more, (bike not running but key on), simultaneously pull on the shifter - away from the engine so the shaft/shifter is as far left as possible, pull in on the clutch, turn the rear wheel and try to down shift a few times, then try to get it into netural. Unless you are good at twister, you may need someone to help

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would look at the external shift linkage. In order to check it you have to drain the engine oil and remove the cover with the oil sight glass. If it acts right, chances are you damaged a shift fork. Engine needs to come out and crankcase split (BIG job)

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
A couple of things give you a "shiftless" bike..
When the splines go out, which means pulling the rear wheel and checking for lubed splines. The splines do tend to make a eattling noise and a bit of a slip while in gear (like it is trying to find something to grab).
Burned up clutch plates give you no power and seemingly no gear. (You would usually notice some slippage before this happens.
And there is also a very small clip spring in the gear change mechanism that could have broken or sprung. That is the one in the external shift leakage area.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
One other thing may be causing the "no shift" if none of the afor mentioned solutions was satisfactory. There is a linkage between the shift lever and the actuator that is inside the crankcase. The wrench that helped me out with my bike told me that that is a weak link and he has seen it break in the past. If that is the case, the gear shift lever would probably be very sloppy and you wouldn't feel any resistance when moving it.
If the linkage is broken you will have to pull the engine and split the case halves in order to get to it. Big job but doable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ditto here on my 92. I wasn't beating on it at all. What did you find out? I'm pretty sure mine is the internal shift linkage. How much to fix?

·
Premium Member
4,815 Posts
dragonkneez, the OP last posted here in 2007, so you may not get a response on this old thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts